Sports Briefs

Baseball:

Junior catcher Yasmani Grandal garnered Louisville Slugger First Team All-America Preseason Honors for the upcoming season. Grandal hit .299 and led the team with 16 home runs in 2009.

Football:

Ten former Hurricanes were selected to play in the 2010 Pro Bowl, more than any other university. The game will take place at Sun Life Stadium this Sunday.

Tennis:

Season-opening weekend saw the No. 21 men’s tennis team (1-0) improved to a perfect 6-0 all-time against FAU with a sweep of all singles and doubles matches. They will travel to Athens, Ga. to participate in ITA Kick-Off weekend Jan. 31-Feb. 1. The women’s team (1-0) blanked FAU as well and collected their first win of the season.

Track & Field:

In Champaign, Ill. this past weekend the women’s track and field squad took second in the Carle/Health Alliance Classic. The team was led by Senior Deandra Doyley’s first place finishes in both long jump and triple jump. The men’s squad finished in fourth place.

Women’s Basketball:

The Canes (12-5, 2-3) split their last two contests, winning on the road at Maryland (14-5, 2-3) and losing at home to Virginia Tech (12-7, 2-3). They will travel to Atlanta, Ga. and then to Chestnut Hill, Mass. this weekend as they continue ACC play.

Swimming:

The Hurricane swimmers rounded out their season with a win at FAU. They will now begin training for the ACC championships which will take place in Chapel Hill, N.C. in late February.

Information courtesy of hurricanesports.com.

Calvin Cestari can be reached at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com.

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...