Sports Briefs

Baseball:

Junior catcher Yasmani Grandal garnered Louisville Slugger First Team All-America Preseason Honors for the upcoming season. Grandal hit .299 and led the team with 16 home runs in 2009.

Football:

Ten former Hurricanes were selected to play in the 2010 Pro Bowl, more than any other university. The game will take place at Sun Life Stadium this Sunday.

Tennis:

Season-opening weekend saw the No. 21 men’s tennis team (1-0) improved to a perfect 6-0 all-time against FAU with a sweep of all singles and doubles matches. They will travel to Athens, Ga. to participate in ITA Kick-Off weekend Jan. 31-Feb. 1. The women’s team (1-0) blanked FAU as well and collected their first win of the season.

Track & Field:

In Champaign, Ill. this past weekend the women’s track and field squad took second in the Carle/Health Alliance Classic. The team was led by Senior Deandra Doyley’s first place finishes in both long jump and triple jump. The men’s squad finished in fourth place.

Women’s Basketball:

The Canes (12-5, 2-3) split their last two contests, winning on the road at Maryland (14-5, 2-3) and losing at home to Virginia Tech (12-7, 2-3). They will travel to Atlanta, Ga. and then to Chestnut Hill, Mass. this weekend as they continue ACC play.

Swimming:

The Hurricane swimmers rounded out their season with a win at FAU. They will now begin training for the ACC championships which will take place in Chapel Hill, N.C. in late February.

Information courtesy of hurricanesports.com.

Calvin Cestari can be reached at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com.

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...