Teams for everyone

Senior Hayley Garick hits the ball over the net and senior Chelsea O'Donnell goes in for the block. Tanya Thompson//The Miami Hurricane

Some days it seems easier to flip on your XBOX or Playstation and play video games with your buddies than actually go out and do something – we’ve all been there. If this sounds like your everyday activity, then you don’t know what you’ve been missing. UM offers its students a plethora of ways to play your favorite sport or activity competitively and affordably without ever leaving campus, unless of course you want a bigger challenge.

This semester the Wellness Center will be providing leagues to play flag football, basketball, sand volleyball, softball and volleyball among many others. In addition, there will be nine special event tournaments including table tennis, ultimate disc, bench press,  three-point shootout and the annual favorite, Sportsfest, which will take place Feb. 19-21. These special events and intramural sports are open to all students; interested students can sign up at the Wellness Center.

While intramurals are a great way to get involved and stay active, there are also over 20 club teams that represent UM on campus, in Florida and across the country.

The Volleyball Club will be holding tryouts this spring on center court in the Wellness Center. The club will be traveling to three other Florida universities as well as Las Vegas for tournaments this season, and the women have their sights set on nationals.

The Lacrosse Club will be hosting their annual “Fun in the Sun” Tournament which they dominated last year. The tournament will feature clubs from colleges nationwide including Texas A&M, Penn State and Michigan State. The girls were ranked in the top 20 last season and hope to move even higher this year.

The Tennis Club is going to be hosting the Ibis Open on Feb. 13 and 14 at Crandon Park in Key Biscayne. The club does not require tryouts and accommodates various skill levels. They will travel to other Florida schools to compete in both singles and doubles tournaments.

Make this semester the one where you wear your school’s colors on the field instead of while playing NCAA Football 10 on your XBOX, try out for club sports or get your friends together and join an intramural league. If you are interested in participating or have further questions about club  sports or intramural leagues, information is available on the Wellness Center’s Web site, www.miami.edu/wellness, and at the Wellness Center.

Calvin Cestari may be contacted at ccestari@themiamihurricane.com.

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...