Tennis

First matches of the season set the bar high

Junior Carl Sundberg, currently best men's singles player for UMiami team Matt Wallach // The Miami Hurricane

The No. 21 University of Miami men’s tennis team (1-0) swept their northern neighbors FAU (1-1) 7-0 winning all doubles and singles matches in their season debut Thursday night at Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

“The guys played well,”  head coach Mario Rincon said. “FAU has a solid team and we had a battle with them.”

Junior Carl Sundberg, who entered the game ranked 57th, and sophomore Ignacio Taboada set the pace for the rest of the team, starting their season by dismantling their double rivals 8-1.

“Starting with the doubles win was really important,” said Rincon. “I think that this year our guys were extremely ready from the beginning and a couple of matches went our way.”

The Hurricanes were not as dominant as the final score implies. The Owls made the Canes work for their 7 points: junior Christian Blocker and senior David Simon won 8-4, and sophomore Waylon Chin and junior Keith Crowley won 9-8 after trailing 3-0.

Sundberg debuted in the No. 1 spot replacing Daniel Valverdu, who graduated last year. He got off to a shaky start, losing the first set to Marc Abdelnour then battling back to win 5-7, 6-2, 10-7.

Blocker playing in the No. 2 position also had a tough night, needing three sets to finally beat Lawrance Harradine 6-1, 1-6, 6-1.

“Everyone on our team can play a lot better,” Rincon said. “I think they were a little bit nervous at the start but they shook off the nerves and they started playing better, and everyone has a lot of room for improvement in a lot of areas.”

Chin, a recent transfer from Illinois, was impressive playing in the No. 3 position in his debut defeating FAU senior Daniel Vardag in straight sets 61-64

Crowley, Taboada and Simon, currently ranked 120, finished out the day in straight set wins.

The team’s Saturday match against Stetson (0-0) was cancelled due to rain. The Hurricanes will next face North Carolina in the ITA Kick-Off Weekend. The winners of the 15 regions participating will take part in the National Team Indoor Championships.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...