Editorial: Judging Student Government

Student Government has the ability to have large effects on the University of Miami. When Mike Abrams ran for student body president in 1969, his platform included the establishment of a tradition room on campus. This idea eventually became the Rathskeller.

Every student government cannot make major changes; its term in office is only a year. There has to be continuity as members of SG change and the new leadership has to maintain the progress of its predecessors.

This current SG has succeeded in its attempt to try to restructure the advising process and in its effort to standardize a university-wide attendance policy.

Even though this current student government has not raised any new buildings on campus, it has improved the function of the existing structures and programs on campus.

For example, last semester it started the 24/7 hours at the Richter Library a week early to see if the increased hours would work year round.

Despite tough economic times, SG was able to add  an Ibis Ride to Key Biscayne and brought back the Coconut Grove shuttle.

Granted, not all the goals of student government have been reached, such as the Miracle Mile shuttle ride.

But there has been progress.

What is important is that the UM student body shows more interest in SG. A year ago only one official party ran for the top executive spots, which is not acceptable.

These positions have power and should not come without competition.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial staff.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...