Book review: “The Skinnygirl Dish” by Bethenny Frankel

Courtesy of Fireside, Simon and Schuster

Witty, perceptive and unapologetic, Bethenny Frankel is a New York Times bestselling author, celebrity natural food chef and cast member of Bravo’s The Real Housewives of New York. She has the gift to change her readers’ attitude towards food and cooking with her unique approach. Her latest book, “The Skinnygirl Dish: Easy Recipes for Your Naturally Thin Life,” is both insightful and entertaining.

“The Skinnygirl Dish” builds upon the principles established in Frankel’s first book, “Naturally Thin.” Using the “Naturally Thin philosophy” Frankel makes cooking accessible. With her help, anyone can create impressive, yet easy, meals; from the college kid that barely knows how to boil water, to the housewife looking for healthier meal options.

Regardless of her readers’ level of expertise, each step is explained in a thorough, yet concise manner. Sprinkled throughout with her own unique humor, Frankel anticipates every question readers may ask and includes all the information they should know. The book is comprehensive and empowers readers; they never feel overwhelmed or unsure of what to do next.

Frankel even includes alternative ways to create her recipes, using different ingredients readers may have around their kitchen in place of the ones originally listed. She gets it; when readers come home from school or work, they tired and don’t want to have to go to the store for obscure ingredients. With Frankel’s recipes, readers use what they have and are provided with the tools and skills to make it work, regardless of the circumstance.

Not only are the recipes in “The Skinnygirl Dish” easy to follow, but they are healthy and delicious. Who could turn down Frankel’s version of “Cranberry Almond Chicken Salad” with a side of “Guilt-Free Fries,” or a spoonful of her “What-the-Hell-Do-I-Do-with-These-Leftover-Avocados Dip?” While Frankel’s lunch and dinner items guarantee diners a membership in the clean plate club, her dessert recipes are the best part of her latest book. In particular, the “Not-So-Red Velvet Cupcakes” are moist and rich, while remaining health-conscious. The only problem is you can’t eat just one.

“The Skinnygirl Dish” is a must-buy for those interested in a comprehensive guide to more healthful cooking, or for those who simply enjoy a good read by an author who tells it like it is.

RATING:
Rating: 3.5/4 stars
Price: $16
Recipes included: Breakfasts, light lunches, dinners, snacks, drinks and cocktails, and desserts.
Additional information: Published by Simon and Schuster, Paperback, 296 pages

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...