Book review: “The Skinnygirl Dish” by Bethenny Frankel

Courtesy of Fireside, Simon and Schuster

Witty, perceptive and unapologetic, Bethenny Frankel is a New York Times bestselling author, celebrity natural food chef and cast member of Bravo’s The Real Housewives of New York. She has the gift to change her readers’ attitude towards food and cooking with her unique approach. Her latest book, “The Skinnygirl Dish: Easy Recipes for Your Naturally Thin Life,” is both insightful and entertaining.

“The Skinnygirl Dish” builds upon the principles established in Frankel’s first book, “Naturally Thin.” Using the “Naturally Thin philosophy” Frankel makes cooking accessible. With her help, anyone can create impressive, yet easy, meals; from the college kid that barely knows how to boil water, to the housewife looking for healthier meal options.

Regardless of her readers’ level of expertise, each step is explained in a thorough, yet concise manner. Sprinkled throughout with her own unique humor, Frankel anticipates every question readers may ask and includes all the information they should know. The book is comprehensive and empowers readers; they never feel overwhelmed or unsure of what to do next.

Frankel even includes alternative ways to create her recipes, using different ingredients readers may have around their kitchen in place of the ones originally listed. She gets it; when readers come home from school or work, they tired and don’t want to have to go to the store for obscure ingredients. With Frankel’s recipes, readers use what they have and are provided with the tools and skills to make it work, regardless of the circumstance.

Not only are the recipes in “The Skinnygirl Dish” easy to follow, but they are healthy and delicious. Who could turn down Frankel’s version of “Cranberry Almond Chicken Salad” with a side of “Guilt-Free Fries,” or a spoonful of her “What-the-Hell-Do-I-Do-with-These-Leftover-Avocados Dip?” While Frankel’s lunch and dinner items guarantee diners a membership in the clean plate club, her dessert recipes are the best part of her latest book. In particular, the “Not-So-Red Velvet Cupcakes” are moist and rich, while remaining health-conscious. The only problem is you can’t eat just one.

“The Skinnygirl Dish” is a must-buy for those interested in a comprehensive guide to more healthful cooking, or for those who simply enjoy a good read by an author who tells it like it is.

RATING:
Rating: 3.5/4 stars
Price: $16
Recipes included: Breakfasts, light lunches, dinners, snacks, drinks and cocktails, and desserts.
Additional information: Published by Simon and Schuster, Paperback, 296 pages

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...