Basketball

Canes win nail-biter 67-66

Dwayne Collins scores two of his team-high 23 points on an alley-oop during Miami's 67-66 victory over Wake Forest. Matt Wallach //  The Miami Hurricane

Dwayne Collins scores two of his team-high 23 points on an alley-oop during Miami's 67-66 victory over Wake Forest. Matt Wallach // The Miami Hurricane

If the rest of Miami’s Atlantic Coast Conference schedule plays out like the home opener, it’s sure to be a doozy.

Senior guard Ishmael Smith’s jump shot over freshman guard Durand Scott missed with two seconds left as the Hurricanes (15-1, 1-1) held on 67-66 in a nail-biter against Wake Forest Saturday night at the BankUnited Center.

This marks the second consecutive game that the orange and green has won in the series to improve to 3-7 all time. Last season, the Canes upset the then-sixth-ranked Demon Deacons 79-52.

Senior forward Dwayne Collins led Miami with 23 points and 11 rebounds for his fifth double-double of the season. Senior guard James Dews, who struggled with just six points, scored the winning basket – a put-back off a missed Collins layup – with 30 seconds left.

In a back-and-forth second half that saw Wake (11-3, 1-1) take a 54-53 lead on a 23-17 run, both Collins and senior forward Adrian Thomas gave the Canes a 60-54 lead on a layup and three-pointer, respectively, following missed free throws by Scott.

Miami struggled in transition, giving up easy baskets to the Deacs, and also committed 15 turnovers. With the victory, the Canes improved to 15-1 for the first time since 1959-1960.

UM heads to Blacksburg to take on the Virginia Tech Hokies (12-1, 0-0) at 7 p.m. on Wednesday.

Stats and tidbits

Malcolm Grant – 14 points

Durand Scott – 10 points

The band was back for tonight’s game with an announced crowd of 5,537.

Grant played the entire game without his trademark headband.

Both President Donna Shalala and head football coach Randy Shannon were present.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...