Basketball

Canes win nail-biter 67-66

Dwayne Collins scores two of his team-high 23 points on an alley-oop during Miami's 67-66 victory over Wake Forest. Matt Wallach //  The Miami Hurricane

Dwayne Collins scores two of his team-high 23 points on an alley-oop during Miami's 67-66 victory over Wake Forest. Matt Wallach // The Miami Hurricane

If the rest of Miami’s Atlantic Coast Conference schedule plays out like the home opener, it’s sure to be a doozy.

Senior guard Ishmael Smith’s jump shot over freshman guard Durand Scott missed with two seconds left as the Hurricanes (15-1, 1-1) held on 67-66 in a nail-biter against Wake Forest Saturday night at the BankUnited Center.

This marks the second consecutive game that the orange and green has won in the series to improve to 3-7 all time. Last season, the Canes upset the then-sixth-ranked Demon Deacons 79-52.

Senior forward Dwayne Collins led Miami with 23 points and 11 rebounds for his fifth double-double of the season. Senior guard James Dews, who struggled with just six points, scored the winning basket – a put-back off a missed Collins layup – with 30 seconds left.

In a back-and-forth second half that saw Wake (11-3, 1-1) take a 54-53 lead on a 23-17 run, both Collins and senior forward Adrian Thomas gave the Canes a 60-54 lead on a layup and three-pointer, respectively, following missed free throws by Scott.

Miami struggled in transition, giving up easy baskets to the Deacs, and also committed 15 turnovers. With the victory, the Canes improved to 15-1 for the first time since 1959-1960.

UM heads to Blacksburg to take on the Virginia Tech Hokies (12-1, 0-0) at 7 p.m. on Wednesday.

Stats and tidbits

Malcolm Grant – 14 points

Durand Scott – 10 points

The band was back for tonight’s game with an announced crowd of 5,537.

Grant played the entire game without his trademark headband.

Both President Donna Shalala and head football coach Randy Shannon were present.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...