Football

Jacory Harris to have thumb surgery

Sophomore quarterback Jacory Harris will undergo thumb surgery Wednesday, January 6th on his right hand. Harris injured his thumb in a 33-24 loss against North Carolina on November 14th.

The surgery is not severe and is a routine procedure.

There is no time table for Harris’ return. If Harris is not ready for spring practice freshman A.J. Highsmith will be the No. 1 quarterback heading into spring practice which begins at the end of February. Highsmith saw limited action as a backup as he was 4-for-6 with one touchdown and 53 yards passing.

Harris split time his freshman year at quarterback but then was the undisputed starting quarterback this year. Unlike last year, Harris will not have to learn a new offense as Mark Whipple returns for his second year. Harris can spend more time rehabbing.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com

Justin Antweil

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...