Lady GaGa makes the fans ‘Just Dance’

Lady GaGa performs "Alejandro" during Saturday night's concert at the James L. Knight Center.

Lady GaGa performs "Alejandro" during Saturday night's concert at the James L. Knight Center in Downtown Miami.

For her first show of the new year, Lady GaGa pulled out all the stops Saturday night at the James L. Knight Center to prove that 2010 will be just as much her year as the last.

Clearly channeling Madonna throughout the concert with cone-shaped bras and provocative dance moves, Lady GaGa is becoming this generation’s “Material Girl.”

If you ever regretted buying an expensive concert ticket, it wasn’t for Stefani Germanotta’s The Monster Ball Tour. Through costume changes, elaborate lighting and Warholian set designs, she had people of all ages – from tweens to middle-aged couples – dancing for two hours.

Though some songs underperformed, like her No. 1 hit “Poker Face” (something was just missing from the early GaGa days…maybe it was the blue, futuristic-looking leotard), others such as “Teeth” sounded better live.

While singing with her tracks for most of the night because of all the choreography she and her dancers had cooked up, Lady GaGa shined most in front of the piano for “Speechless,” which she dedicated to all the gay boys in Miami, and the acoustic version of “Poker Face.”

But nothing could beat the finale.

The entire crowd, myself included, sang and danced (in perfect synchronization with the music video), to “Bad Romance.” It’s something that hasn’t happened since “Thriller.”

And after she and the dancers took a bow and left the stage, and the closing video began, fans continued their Twitter updates and Facebook statuses to the envy of friends.

ChrissyD13: “AMAZING!!! ‘So Happy I Could Die.'”

Set list

• Dance in the Dark
  • Just Dance
  • LoveGame
  • LoveGame remix
  • Alejandro
  • Monster
  • So Happy I Could Die
  • Teeth
  • Speechless
  • Poker Face (acoustic)
  • The Fame
  • Money Honey
  • Beautiful Dirty Rich
  • Boys, Boys, Boys
  • Paper Gangsta
  • Poker Face
  • Paparazzi
  • Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)
  • Bad Romance

Opening acts

Semi Precious Weapons – The lead singer was a little too energetic, and the usual poor sound quality for beginning acts made it difficult to hear the lyrics. The band was good at hyping up Lady GaGa…

Jason DeRulo – The Miami native clearly has his sights set on being the next Chris Brown (minus the whole Rihanna incident, we hope), as he came to the stage in complete Michael Jackson inspired-gloves, knee pads, etc. He had the crowd going with hits “Whatcha Say” and “In My Head.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...