Lady GaGa makes the fans ‘Just Dance’

Lady GaGa performs "Alejandro" during Saturday night's concert at the James L. Knight Center.

Lady GaGa performs "Alejandro" during Saturday night's concert at the James L. Knight Center in Downtown Miami.

For her first show of the new year, Lady GaGa pulled out all the stops Saturday night at the James L. Knight Center to prove that 2010 will be just as much her year as the last.

Clearly channeling Madonna throughout the concert with cone-shaped bras and provocative dance moves, Lady GaGa is becoming this generation’s “Material Girl.”

If you ever regretted buying an expensive concert ticket, it wasn’t for Stefani Germanotta’s The Monster Ball Tour. Through costume changes, elaborate lighting and Warholian set designs, she had people of all ages – from tweens to middle-aged couples – dancing for two hours.

Though some songs underperformed, like her No. 1 hit “Poker Face” (something was just missing from the early GaGa days…maybe it was the blue, futuristic-looking leotard), others such as “Teeth” sounded better live.

While singing with her tracks for most of the night because of all the choreography she and her dancers had cooked up, Lady GaGa shined most in front of the piano for “Speechless,” which she dedicated to all the gay boys in Miami, and the acoustic version of “Poker Face.”

But nothing could beat the finale.

The entire crowd, myself included, sang and danced (in perfect synchronization with the music video), to “Bad Romance.” It’s something that hasn’t happened since “Thriller.”

And after she and the dancers took a bow and left the stage, and the closing video began, fans continued their Twitter updates and Facebook statuses to the envy of friends.

ChrissyD13: “AMAZING!!! ‘So Happy I Could Die.'”

Set list

• Dance in the Dark
  • Just Dance
  • LoveGame
  • LoveGame remix
  • Alejandro
  • Monster
  • So Happy I Could Die
  • Teeth
  • Speechless
  • Poker Face (acoustic)
  • The Fame
  • Money Honey
  • Beautiful Dirty Rich
  • Boys, Boys, Boys
  • Paper Gangsta
  • Poker Face
  • Paparazzi
  • Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)
  • Bad Romance

Opening acts

Semi Precious Weapons – The lead singer was a little too energetic, and the usual poor sound quality for beginning acts made it difficult to hear the lyrics. The band was good at hyping up Lady GaGa…

Jason DeRulo – The Miami native clearly has his sights set on being the next Chris Brown (minus the whole Rihanna incident, we hope), as he came to the stage in complete Michael Jackson inspired-gloves, knee pads, etc. He had the crowd going with hits “Whatcha Say” and “In My Head.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...