Reitman’s film “Up in the Air” story of human connection

He brought you “Thank you for Smoking” and “Juno.” Now, director Jason Reitman is gearing up for the buzz surrounding his latest movie, “Up in the Air.”

The film tells the story of Ryan Bingham, played by George Clooney. Bingham travels non-stop, flying around the country to fire employees for corporate bosses too scared to pass out the pink slip themselves. At a recent press junket, Reitman told The Miami Hurricane the film is about human connection.

Nick Maslow // The Miami Hurricane

Nick Maslow // The Miami Hurricane

“It’s about a man, for the first time, reaching out and getting close to people – bringing them in and having some sort of community,” he said. “I think we’re at a moment where we just don’t talk anymore. We have to Twitter, we have to text [sic]. Certainly, for road warriors, that’s the only way to communicate. If I was to create a metaphor for this man’s distance with other people, I thought technology [was the best one].”

Bingham finds it difficult to continue his anti-social lifestyle when his boss forces him to take recent college graduate and know-it-all Natalie, played by Anna Kendrick of “Twilight” fame, with him on the road. Natalie is both a professional and personal challenge, pushing Bingham to not only empathize with the people he fires, but also to reach out to the woman he just might love, played by Vera Farmiga.

The film touches on the state of the economy, betrayal, and corporate culture in America. But Reitman said his film doesn’t make a specific statement.

“I don’t think I really have a message,” he said. “I hope the movie acts as a mirror. I want you to see yourself in the film – whether you believe one thing or another. My films have always created some sort of divide. Half the people think one thing, half the audience thinks another. On this film, I’m perfectly fine with people taking their own message.”

So far, the reaction has been positive. Already, the film is nominated for six Golden Globes and is poised to woo the Academy. Reitman said part of his formula for success is working with trusted friends.

“Valuing relationships over resumes is a directorial thing. It means that when you’re on set you’d rather be with someone you connect with…The fact is there’s a lot of talented people out there, but when you’re trying to figure out the one person who’s going to be by your side, it should be somebody you like standing next to.”

“Up in the Air” is playing in theaters nationwide.

Nick Maslow

Of the Staff

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...