Basketball

Canes cruise to 12-1, win 80-59

Sophomore guard Malcolm Grant scored 14 points to lead five Hurricanes in double figures as Miami cruised to the 80-59 victory over North Carolina A&T. Ramon Galiana // The Miami Hurricane

Senior forward Dwayne Collins must’ve seen enough.

With North Carolina A&T on a run to start the second half, Collins dunked over a defender for the bucket and the foul to stop the Aggies’ momentum in a 80-59 victory Monday night at the BankUnited Center.

The Hurricanes (12-1, 0-1) were led by sophomore guard Malcolm Grant’s 14 points. Collins and freshman guard Durand Scott each contributed 13 points.

Dwane Joshua scored a team-high 14 points for the Aggies (4-7). North Carolina A&T, which trailed by 20 at the half, started to find its groove behind the arc and closed the gap to 10 with 12:56 left in the game.

That is until Collins substituted for freshman Reggie Johnson and made baskets in back-to-back possessions.

Miami next plays on Dec. 30 and hosts Bethune-Cookman (7-5) for a 7:30 tipoff.

GAME NOTES

• Antoine Allen made a three-pointer at the buzzer to end the first half and give the Canes a 44-22 lead.
  • During the second half, Grant did not wear his trademark headband. He was donning a white one for the first 20 minutes.
  • Sebastian the Ibis danced (and dressed up) the Nutcracker’s “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy” with a group of young ballerinas during halftime.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...