December Lust List

The Occasional Bitch
…because occasionally the bitch has something to say.Culture. Opinion. Fashion. Travel.

Fashion:

Even though school’s out until spring semester, your best bitch is still here to help you with some last minute styling advice. Aren’t you lucky? My lust list is a compilation of December’s hottest items and trends….

As always, sexy shoes are a must. Mile-high peeptoe pumps are a perfect choice this winter, and are a trend that will carry through to the spring, with peeptoe slingback heels. Clearly the black kid leather Louboutin’s are on my lust list for a reason: they are ridiculously expensive. But a girl can dream… and also take inspiration from the best. Similar pumps are available at many different price points.

Almost as important as a lady’s shoes, the handbag can make or break an outfit. This winter, I’m drawn to structured pieces, like the Coach “Audrey” bag and Dylan Long’s zip wallet (which I would double as a clutch). Both maintain a definite shape, but balance it with easygoing, slouchy accents. They also feature strong metallic hardware, adding a little punch.

Even though its winter (well, for those of us not from Florida), it is no excuse to forget about color. What is more refreshing than a bright saphire blue sweater amidst the gloom of subartic temperatures? Color is inspiring and is constant reassurance that spring semester will thankfully start soon. The coral BCBGMAXAZRIA dress is another perfect example. This dress specifically is from the designer’s spring line, but students can pull off this look with Miami’s mild winter temperatures. Most importantly, pay attention to BCBG’s nod to nautical styling, with the striped belt. In the spring, nautical-inspired looks will be big. Snap up basics early.  Boys belts and ties from Crewcuts, J. Crew’s childrens line, can be worn as creative waist-cinchers and coordinated with accessories.

Draw inspiration from the 1920s for a captivating and different look. This will be a trend to follow through the new year. Abercrombie and Fitch’s “Chloe” top features a looser fit and beautifully beaded embellishments, which would make any ’20s flapper envious. Try mixing a statement piece from the era with modern looks, like skinny jeans and killer heels. More to come on the flapper trend in my New Years Eve article… keep an eye out.

Last but not least…the black Betsy Johnson party dress and Fresh’s Sugar Rosè Tinted Lip Treatment. Both are items after which I legitimately lust. Fresh lip treatment is my go-to balm for the winter, since wind-cracked lips are not so attractive. Also, the pretty rose tint is irresistable; it’s the perfect combination of bubblegum pink and cherry red. However at approximately $22 a pop, it doesn’t come cheap. The black frock is not from Betsy Johnson’s new line and does not represent a new winter trend; it’s just an adorable dress. I love the sweetheart neckline and fun, flouncy skirt, and thought you might too.

So what are you lusting after this holiday season?
Leave your comments below bitches…

<< Back to The Occasional Bitch archives

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...