“The Rock” speaks at commencement

Ramon Galiana // The Miami Hurricane

Ramon Galiana // The Miami Hurricane

Over 800 graduates witnessed special guest commencement speaker Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson address their commencement before turning their tassels from right to left.

Johnson, who played defensive tackle for the Hurricanes football team during the 1991 national championship, returned to Miami with a famous career. Most recently, he is known as an actor who starred in films such as The Scorpion King, Walking Tall, Get Smart, The Game Plan, and Race to Witch Mountain.

A multi-million donor to the university, the Rock is arguably most popular for his former professional wrestling career with World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) between 1996 to 2004, having won several championships and garnered widespread notoriety for his talent.

Now, wearing the ceremonial gown of an alumnus, he returned to give advice to those who would graduate.

“What makes this really special is that like all of you graduates and like many of you in this arena, I am and will forever be a Miami Hurricane,” said Johnson in his opening remarks. “This university was the breeding ground of some of the most important lessons that helped shape my life and guide me for success.”

Johnson focused his speech on a reflection of his time at the university as he challenged graduates to uphold high expectations and standards for their careers.

He was not available for comment after the ceremony.

Ramon Galiana may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz went into overtime on Monday during an interview with ...

Miami couldn’t in-bound the ball. When the host Hurricanes’ women’s basketball team looks back at Su ...

Offensive line is always one of the biggest needs for the Miami Hurricanes on the recruiting trail a ...

When Manny Diaz briefly left the Miami Hurricanes to become the coach of the Temple Owls, Keshawn Wa ...

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic has been through more trauma in the ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Miami's stellar season came to end Sunday, as the Hurricanes fell to ASU, 57-55, in the NCAA To ...

A ninth inning rally pushed No. 5 NC State past the Canes on Sunday afternoon. ...

Despite Estela Perez-Somarriba logging a top-five triumph for the 100th win of her career, the No. 2 ...

Kevin Arreaga of the University of Miami track and field team won the men's hammer throw on Sat ...

Facing No. 11 North Carolina on its home court, the University of Miami men's tennis team got o ...