“The Rock” speaks at commencement

Ramon Galiana // The Miami Hurricane

Ramon Galiana // The Miami Hurricane

Over 800 graduates witnessed special guest commencement speaker Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson address their commencement before turning their tassels from right to left.

Johnson, who played defensive tackle for the Hurricanes football team during the 1991 national championship, returned to Miami with a famous career. Most recently, he is known as an actor who starred in films such as The Scorpion King, Walking Tall, Get Smart, The Game Plan, and Race to Witch Mountain.

A multi-million donor to the university, the Rock is arguably most popular for his former professional wrestling career with World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) between 1996 to 2004, having won several championships and garnered widespread notoriety for his talent.

Now, wearing the ceremonial gown of an alumnus, he returned to give advice to those who would graduate.

“What makes this really special is that like all of you graduates and like many of you in this arena, I am and will forever be a Miami Hurricane,” said Johnson in his opening remarks. “This university was the breeding ground of some of the most important lessons that helped shape my life and guide me for success.”

Johnson focused his speech on a reflection of his time at the university as he challenged graduates to uphold high expectations and standards for their careers.

He was not available for comment after the ceremony.

Ramon Galiana may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...