SunRail’s charming third chance

Flickr.com

Flickr.com

If there’s one thing I can’t stand in politics, it is the timidity that intoxicates legislators during election years. It’s like a venom that’s poisonously irritating.

The Miami Herald reported that the politics of uncertainty are having a damning influence in the Florida Senate. This time, the victimized issue is the long-debated SunRail project that would connect central and south Florida via high-speed bullet trains operated by CSX Transportation, Inc.

The Florida House of Representatives is expected to pass the legislation to allow the project tomorrow, which has been estimated to cost taxpayers up to $1 billion for the construction of SunRail and a $15 million stimulus for the current TriRail railroad system. The ultimate goal of the bill would be to attract a $2.5 billion federal stimulus offer to help in facilitate new transportation infrastructure.

Sen. Paula Dockery, R-Lakeland, has led two successful charges in the past to kill SunRail legislation, and now seems poised to lead a third successful offensive. She points to what she considers the objectionably gargantuan bill that taxpayers would front for the stimulus.

Republicans are split in the senate on the issue. Senate President Jeff Atwater spent most of Friday wooing some of his party colleagues who aren’t sold on SunRail to reconsider the proposal. A supporter of past SunRail legislation, Sen. Carey Baker, R-Eustis, currently opposes this version of the bill because of the compromises and differences implemented to help get pushed through the House. However, Baker has expressed interest in reversing his stance on the issue. Similarly, Mike Bennett, another senate Republican, will consider voting affirmatively for the legislation because of a provision that dumps more liability on CSX for accidents with the bullet trains.

The senate needs to pass a SunRail bill with deliberation, but with a sense of urgency to act on the $2.5 billion federal stimulus availability. Florida needs a project like this to link three of the state’s major commercial urban centers in Orlando, Miami and Tampa. According to AECOM Consulting, the rail project is estimated to pump a projected 14,000 jobs into the Florida economy over the next 30 years. The state would also rake in about $13.5 in tax revenue alone.

If the senate can’t pass SunRail legislation this time, chances are they never will. A number of agreements with local governments and CSX are set to ultimately expire in June.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...