Volleyball

Canes lose to FIU in NCAA Tournament

Senior outside hitter Genny Mayhew assists sophomore outside hitter Lane Carico bumping the ball during the game against Duke in which Duke won with a final score of 3-0. Yesterday Carico and senior libero Cassie Loessberg were named to the All-ACC team.

Senior outside hitter Genny Mayhew assists sophomore outside hitter Lane Carico bumping the ball during the game against Duke. Yesterday Carico and senior libero Cassie Loessberg were named to the All-ACC team. Jesse Swanson // File Photo

The University of Miami Hurricanes volleyball team lost to FIU in a thrilling five set match (16-25, 25-20, 25-22, 25-27, 11-15) in Gainesville, Florida Thursday night.

Miami (18-13) had two match points in the fourth set but were unable to prevail as the Golden Panthers (32-3) went on a 4-1 run to end the fourth set and carried the momentum in to the fifth set.

This was UM’s first NCAA tournament appearance in volleyball since 2002.

Sophomore outside-hitter Lane Carico was valiant in a losing effort tallying 21 kills and 15 digs.

Earlier today Carico and senior libero Cassie Loessberg were named to the All-ACC team.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...