Volleyball

Canes lose to FIU in NCAA Tournament

Senior outside hitter Genny Mayhew assists sophomore outside hitter Lane Carico bumping the ball during the game against Duke in which Duke won with a final score of 3-0. Yesterday Carico and senior libero Cassie Loessberg were named to the All-ACC team.

Senior outside hitter Genny Mayhew assists sophomore outside hitter Lane Carico bumping the ball during the game against Duke. Yesterday Carico and senior libero Cassie Loessberg were named to the All-ACC team. Jesse Swanson // File Photo

The University of Miami Hurricanes volleyball team lost to FIU in a thrilling five set match (16-25, 25-20, 25-22, 25-27, 11-15) in Gainesville, Florida Thursday night.

Miami (18-13) had two match points in the fourth set but were unable to prevail as the Golden Panthers (32-3) went on a 4-1 run to end the fourth set and carried the momentum in to the fifth set.

This was UM’s first NCAA tournament appearance in volleyball since 2002.

Sophomore outside-hitter Lane Carico was valiant in a losing effort tallying 21 kills and 15 digs.

Earlier today Carico and senior libero Cassie Loessberg were named to the All-ACC team.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...