UM endorses Rhodes finalist

Extraordinary person: Kartik Telukuntla was one of 805 finalists for the Rhodes Scholarship. He was the only UM student endorsed by the university. Although he did not receive the scholarship, he was humbled. Ramon Galiana // The Miami Hurricane

Kartik Telukuntla, a junior majoring in biology and political science at the University of Miami, was recently named one of 216 finalists for the prestigious Rhodes Scholarship to study at Oxford University in England.

Each year more than 1,500 students embark upon the rigorous Rhodes application process by first request the endorsement of their university to compete for the scholarship.

According to Kefryn Reese, the assistant director of international education and exchange programs, four UM students applied this past year for the UM endorsement through the Office of Academic Enhancement. Telukuntla and one other student, Derek Freitas, received endorsements. Telukuntla was the only UM students that advanced to become a finalist.

The Rhodes scholarships are the oldest international fellowships in existence today. The list of past recipients boasts 1,800 notable names, including former President Bill Clinton and famous astronomer Edwin Hubble.

Two students from each of 16 U.S. districts receive the scholarship, which includes full funding to attend Oxford for two-to-three years and pursue either a Masters degree or a Doctorate in a subject of their choice.

Any student from any school or college in the university may apply.

Although he did not win the scholarship, Telukuntla is still very proud of his accomplishments.

“I am so honored,” he said. “I really felt privileged and truly blessed. I didn’t expect to make it that far. To say it was humbling would be an understatement. It just inspired me to work that much harder.”

Telukuntla is the current Chief Justice of the Student Government Association, the President of the Honor Council and a member of the President’s 100. He has plans to attend UM’s Miller School of Medicine and hopes to work in health policy while tending to patients.

The selection process is especially difficult, requiring a lot of preparation for interviews and even five letters of recommendation, according to Reese.

“I worked with him very closely,” she said. “But a lot of credit goes to his professors who worked with him throughout the entire process.”

Telukuntla prepped for two weeks before going to Birmingham, Ala., last weekend for the final interviews.

“I got to meet some of the most talented and accomplished students out there,” Telukuntla said. “You just realize they’re ordinary people working extraordinarily hard.  My advice to anyone would be to just find you passion and act on it.”

Megan Terilli may be contacted at mterilli@themiamihurricane.com

Megan Terilli

Online Editor

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...