New attendance policy in the works

For University of Miami students, going to class is part of the day-to-day routine. But no specific university attendance policy leaves it up to the professor to decide how many of those classes students can miss.

The current university policy for attendance states that “instructors will distribute course syllabi which include policies regarding class attendance and missed or late work,” but does not provide many other specifics.

According to Student Government Vice-President Kristen Weaver, talks have been confirmed for next semester to create a detailed university-wide attendance policy that will put an end to the guesswork.

“Right now the attendance policy is very vague,” Weaver said. “It’s mostly up to the professor.”

The effort to create a general attendance policy was a Student Senate initiative that will also include the Faculty Senate and the Office of Academic Enhancement. So far only talks about a generalized attendance policy have been confirmed, set to begin next semester.

“We’re also looking at other schools to come up with the best possible scenario,” Weaver said.

According to Weaver, at this moment no proposals have been made and the three offices are working together to come up with an effective policy.

“If the Senate and the students believe differences in attendance policies are leading to unfairness then there ought to be a policy,” wrote Sam Terilli, a professor in the School of Communications in an e-mail to The Miami Hurricane. “Writing a good policy that will work in a large, diverse institution such as UM will not be easy. For example, I would not want a policy that inflexibly prohibits a professor from granting exceptions that benefit deserving students.”

Terilli added that a class that meets once a week shouldn’t have the same attendance policy as a class that meets three times a week.

“Not all classes are the same,” sophomore Erica Schiff said. “The attendance shouldn’t be the same for a large auditorium class than for a small one.”

While attendance policies are as varied as the faculty at the university, most, like the Business Law department, require an 80 percent attendance rate to get an A.

The only provision the university policy makes is for excused absences, which are spelled out in the Academic Bulletin. Students are justified in missing a class in case of a university activity, such as “a musical and debate activity, R.O.T.C. function, or varsity athletic trip,” an academic activity, or a major religious holiday, as designated by the university. Students must provide documentation for the first two excuses.

The bulletin also leaves a window for the instructors to designate what other excuses, such as illness or family emergencies, are acceptable.

The university also requires professors to give students “either the opportunity to make up, or to be excused from, work missed, without any reduction in the student’s final course grade” in case of a university-approved absence. It’s left up to the instructor whether to extend the same courtesy to the student in case of other absences.

Lila Albizu

Assistant News Editor

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...