Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Segway security guard article unfair

As a student patrol aide (aka ridiculous segway guard), I found Evan Seaman’s uninformed diatribe about security to be most irresponsible and disturbing.

Lets take apart his childish rant one point at a time…Evan accused us as being lazy because we ride Segways. I don’t know what most of you do for student employment, but I bet it doesn’t involve standing in the Miami heat for four to eight hours at a time. We are purposely ‘conspicuous’ in our fluorescent orange shirts. Why do you think police officers wear uniforms? In order to deter crimes from even occurring, police and security are highly visible to criminals. Evan, I have been flagged down many times to give directions, all you need to do is speak. Just because I am all of two feet above you, doesn’t mean that I have lost my sense of hearing. In fact, I have apprehended a laptop thief from the library and someone breaking into cars already.

What constructive things do you perform for this campus? In my years of reading this paper, I have never seen an article that blatantly makes fun of a group of students such as Evan’s “opinion” has done. Should I start a blog saying that Evan’s last name is funny and ridiculous? No, I’ll take the high road and continue to help protect campus. But why should I continue to help a student body that obviously has no respect for me?

-Rick Gusmano, senior

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...