Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Segway security guard article unfair

As a student patrol aide (aka ridiculous segway guard), I found Evan Seaman’s uninformed diatribe about security to be most irresponsible and disturbing.

Lets take apart his childish rant one point at a time…Evan accused us as being lazy because we ride Segways. I don’t know what most of you do for student employment, but I bet it doesn’t involve standing in the Miami heat for four to eight hours at a time. We are purposely ‘conspicuous’ in our fluorescent orange shirts. Why do you think police officers wear uniforms? In order to deter crimes from even occurring, police and security are highly visible to criminals. Evan, I have been flagged down many times to give directions, all you need to do is speak. Just because I am all of two feet above you, doesn’t mean that I have lost my sense of hearing. In fact, I have apprehended a laptop thief from the library and someone breaking into cars already.

What constructive things do you perform for this campus? In my years of reading this paper, I have never seen an article that blatantly makes fun of a group of students such as Evan’s “opinion” has done. Should I start a blog saying that Evan’s last name is funny and ridiculous? No, I’ll take the high road and continue to help protect campus. But why should I continue to help a student body that obviously has no respect for me?

-Rick Gusmano, senior

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...