Lake Osceola Pollution Undergoes Research

UM's polluted Lake Osceola...to be cleaned. Sue Ann Miller // Hurricane Photo

by NANCY LUCAS

As many as 1,000 student volunteers are needed to assist in a massive UM research study to discover the problems concerning Lake Osceola’s pollution.

Under the direction of Dr. Tom Waite of the UM School of Engineering, the study will try to engage personnel from all branches of the university community and bring these varied interest groups together in a combined effort to clean up the lake.

UM has provided a $30,000 institutional grant to fund the study. The data from this research study should clear up all speculation regarding the lake.

In the past, many small understaffed research studies have been conducted. There still remains much speculation as to how badly the lake is polluted and there are many theories of the cause. Some of these include sewage discharge into the waterway leading to the lake, runoff of fertilizers from lawns and the mixing of fresh and salt water in the lake.

“We could actively use every student on this campus,” Waite said. “There will be lots of areas to study chemistry, biology, sociology, economies, even air photography. Or if a student has a particular area of interest other than these we will welcome their ideas and try to incorporate them into our study.”

Waite stressed the point that the study is aimed at learning environmental problems.

“No science background is required,” he said. “In fact, we would like to make a special attempt to enlist those who are non-science majors.”

“Learn and Work” is the idea behind the study. Some students may be involved in taking samples from the lake and analyzing slides under microscopes, while others will be conducting door-to-door interviews of Coral Gables residents living along the waterway.

A special attempt will be made to canvas “the lake people” from Liberty Square who have been fishing at the lake for more than 15 years.

“There will be jobs where you don’t have to come in contact with the water,” said Ed Frankel of the Environment Club.

If student response is strong, periodic seminars will be held in the spring according to Waite.

“We hope that students will eventually be able to receive credit for their work,” he said.

Waite says when the research is completed they will start on the second part of the project to put the findings into effect.

For those students interested in participating in the study, the first organizational meeting will be held next Tuesday, Nov. 14 at 8 p.m. in room S226 of the Student Union. If you have any questions call the environment office at X-3919.

Nancy Lucas wrote for The Miami Hurricane in 1972.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...