Wyclef’s new disc catchy but mainstream

Hip-hop, R&B and reggae icon Wyclef Jean released his new album From the Hut, To the Projects, To the Mansion, an album that captures his past and future, embracing his struggles in the hood to his glamorous famed life.

The album seems like an attempt for Wyclef to shine in the spotlight and break-through from the past that shadows over him, which includes last decade’s rap group the Fugees and his hit single “Hips Don’t Lie” featuring Shakira.

Although Wyclef’s tussled lifestyle is over, he still battles for the respect and notoriety of the public and strives not to become a washed-up hip-hop artist.

Wyclef’s true feelings are revealed through the “Streets Pronounce Me Dead,” which is by far the most powerful track on the album. His bluntness and carefree attitude unleashes his inner emotions.

Besides the arch of Wyclef’s past and future, this album most certainly blends Wyclef’s renowned artistic talents with today’s hip-hop.

The strength of this album shines through Wyclef’s reggae roots with songs “Walk Away,” “We Made It” and “The Shottas’s.” Unfortunately, songs like songs “Robtic Love” and “More Bottles” featuring Timberland expose his sell-out tactics towards mainstream hip-hop. “More Bottles” has potential to be the next club-banger through the use of its idiotic, yet, catchy chorus and familiar beats only because it imitates this century’s hip-hop, a dying breed.

What gives this album a boost in its rankings is the collaboration of other 1990’s rappers like Lil’ Kim and Eve, because they stick with their traditional styles. Lil’ Kim still represents her dirty lyrics as Eve continues to show-off her sentimental side through her gangster fashion.

Overall, the album is decent, but it is difficult to play all 17 tracks straight through because some of them simply are not worth listening to.

Carly Ehrlich

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...