The Blind Side far from groundbreaking but incredibly touching

The plot of The Blind Side comes dangerously close to becoming a huge cliché yet somehow never manages to cross that line. The story of an underprivileged, athletically gifted boy from the projects and the wealthy Southern family who adopts him could have been a typical, saccharine star vehicle for its lead – in this case, Sandra Bullock – but in the case of The Blind Side, it is genuinely moving.

Sandra Bullock stars as Leigh Ann Tuohy, a lady who lunches in Memphis. Her son befriends Michael Oher, a boy from the aptly titled “Hurt Village” projects, and she takes him into her home upon realizing he has nothing. The Blind Side is based on a true story, and if viewers know anything about football, they know that the Baltimore Ravens drafted Oher. If it’s a bit of a cliché, at least it’s real life.

Bullock’s Tennessee accent is more than serviceable, and it’s hilarious to watch her teeter around in stilettos and run things at football practice and in the projects. Quinton Aaron blossoms in the role of Michael, but Jae Head steals the entire film as S.J. Tuohy, Bullock’s outrageously perceptive son.

Being a film that seems to be crafted explicitly for the holiday season, The Blind Side contains its fair share of trite “Hollywood” moments. Bullock’s character seems to single handedly take on racism in Memphis and her marriage to Sean (Tim McGraw, branching out from country music) seems to be the most perfect marriage in history.

Despite these flaws, The Blind Side is incredibly touching. It isn’t groundbreaking by any means, but it succeeds wildly as a sweet, sentimental film.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Starring: Sandra Bullock, Quinton Aaron

Directed By: John Lee Hancock

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...