The Blind Side far from groundbreaking but incredibly touching

The plot of The Blind Side comes dangerously close to becoming a huge cliché yet somehow never manages to cross that line. The story of an underprivileged, athletically gifted boy from the projects and the wealthy Southern family who adopts him could have been a typical, saccharine star vehicle for its lead – in this case, Sandra Bullock – but in the case of The Blind Side, it is genuinely moving.

Sandra Bullock stars as Leigh Ann Tuohy, a lady who lunches in Memphis. Her son befriends Michael Oher, a boy from the aptly titled “Hurt Village” projects, and she takes him into her home upon realizing he has nothing. The Blind Side is based on a true story, and if viewers know anything about football, they know that the Baltimore Ravens drafted Oher. If it’s a bit of a cliché, at least it’s real life.

Bullock’s Tennessee accent is more than serviceable, and it’s hilarious to watch her teeter around in stilettos and run things at football practice and in the projects. Quinton Aaron blossoms in the role of Michael, but Jae Head steals the entire film as S.J. Tuohy, Bullock’s outrageously perceptive son.

Being a film that seems to be crafted explicitly for the holiday season, The Blind Side contains its fair share of trite “Hollywood” moments. Bullock’s character seems to single handedly take on racism in Memphis and her marriage to Sean (Tim McGraw, branching out from country music) seems to be the most perfect marriage in history.

Despite these flaws, The Blind Side is incredibly touching. It isn’t groundbreaking by any means, but it succeeds wildly as a sweet, sentimental film.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Starring: Sandra Bullock, Quinton Aaron

Directed By: John Lee Hancock

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...