Restaurant Review: Torange

Nestled on a street corner near Miracle Mile, Torange Restaurant provides a rare chance for those living in Coral Gables to sample Iranian cuisine. Owned and operated by a couple from Tehran, the small restaurant offers an authentic menu and a comfortable ambiance.

Complimentary baskets of warm pita bread and little cups of mast-o-moosier (yogurt with shallots) are staples at Torange. Other appetizers include the popular kashk bademjan (eggplant spread) and dolmeh (stuffed grape leaves). Salad shirazi is a typical Iranian salad: diced cucumbers, tomatoes and onions in a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice and different herbs.

The highlight of every Iranian restaurant is its selection of chelow kabob (a combination of rice and grilled kabob) and Torange has a full slate. Koobideh (ground beef) serves as the cheapest and most popular kabob option, but kabob barg (sliced beef tenderloin) and joojeh kabob (chicken breast) provide a more refined meal at a slightly more expensive cost.  All skewers of kabob are served over a mound of white rice (with saffron), and grilled tomatoes are served on the side. No Iranian meal is complete without a cup of chai (hot tea) afterward.

Torange provides a unique opportunity to experiment with tasty ethnic cuisine only a short distance from campus. While dinner prices are a bit steep ($14.99 for kabob barg, $7.99 for kashk bademjan appetizer) for a college budget, cheap lunch specials are offered during the day. For fantastic service, a warm environment and delicious Iranian fare, head to Miracle Mile and try this Middle Eastern gem.

If You Go:

What: Torange Restaurant

Where: 1831 Ponce De Leon Boulevard, near Miracle Mile

When: Monday – Thursday, 11:30 a.m. – 9:30 p.m., Friday 11:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, 12:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.

Price: Lunch – $10-12, Dinner – $18-20

Camron Ghorbi

Staff EDGE Writer

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...