Restaurant Review: Torange

Nestled on a street corner near Miracle Mile, Torange Restaurant provides a rare chance for those living in Coral Gables to sample Iranian cuisine. Owned and operated by a couple from Tehran, the small restaurant offers an authentic menu and a comfortable ambiance.

Complimentary baskets of warm pita bread and little cups of mast-o-moosier (yogurt with shallots) are staples at Torange. Other appetizers include the popular kashk bademjan (eggplant spread) and dolmeh (stuffed grape leaves). Salad shirazi is a typical Iranian salad: diced cucumbers, tomatoes and onions in a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice and different herbs.

The highlight of every Iranian restaurant is its selection of chelow kabob (a combination of rice and grilled kabob) and Torange has a full slate. Koobideh (ground beef) serves as the cheapest and most popular kabob option, but kabob barg (sliced beef tenderloin) and joojeh kabob (chicken breast) provide a more refined meal at a slightly more expensive cost.  All skewers of kabob are served over a mound of white rice (with saffron), and grilled tomatoes are served on the side. No Iranian meal is complete without a cup of chai (hot tea) afterward.

Torange provides a unique opportunity to experiment with tasty ethnic cuisine only a short distance from campus. While dinner prices are a bit steep ($14.99 for kabob barg, $7.99 for kashk bademjan appetizer) for a college budget, cheap lunch specials are offered during the day. For fantastic service, a warm environment and delicious Iranian fare, head to Miracle Mile and try this Middle Eastern gem.

If You Go:

What: Torange Restaurant

Where: 1831 Ponce De Leon Boulevard, near Miracle Mile

When: Monday – Thursday, 11:30 a.m. – 9:30 p.m., Friday 11:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, 12:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.

Price: Lunch – $10-12, Dinner – $18-20

Camron Ghorbi

Staff EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...