Restaurant Review: Torange

Nestled on a street corner near Miracle Mile, Torange Restaurant provides a rare chance for those living in Coral Gables to sample Iranian cuisine. Owned and operated by a couple from Tehran, the small restaurant offers an authentic menu and a comfortable ambiance.

Complimentary baskets of warm pita bread and little cups of mast-o-moosier (yogurt with shallots) are staples at Torange. Other appetizers include the popular kashk bademjan (eggplant spread) and dolmeh (stuffed grape leaves). Salad shirazi is a typical Iranian salad: diced cucumbers, tomatoes and onions in a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice and different herbs.

The highlight of every Iranian restaurant is its selection of chelow kabob (a combination of rice and grilled kabob) and Torange has a full slate. Koobideh (ground beef) serves as the cheapest and most popular kabob option, but kabob barg (sliced beef tenderloin) and joojeh kabob (chicken breast) provide a more refined meal at a slightly more expensive cost.  All skewers of kabob are served over a mound of white rice (with saffron), and grilled tomatoes are served on the side. No Iranian meal is complete without a cup of chai (hot tea) afterward.

Torange provides a unique opportunity to experiment with tasty ethnic cuisine only a short distance from campus. While dinner prices are a bit steep ($14.99 for kabob barg, $7.99 for kashk bademjan appetizer) for a college budget, cheap lunch specials are offered during the day. For fantastic service, a warm environment and delicious Iranian fare, head to Miracle Mile and try this Middle Eastern gem.

If You Go:

What: Torange Restaurant

Where: 1831 Ponce De Leon Boulevard, near Miracle Mile

When: Monday – Thursday, 11:30 a.m. – 9:30 p.m., Friday 11:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, 12:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.

Price: Lunch – $10-12, Dinner – $18-20

Camron Ghorbi

Staff EDGE Writer

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...