Restaurant Review: Torange

Nestled on a street corner near Miracle Mile, Torange Restaurant provides a rare chance for those living in Coral Gables to sample Iranian cuisine. Owned and operated by a couple from Tehran, the small restaurant offers an authentic menu and a comfortable ambiance.

Complimentary baskets of warm pita bread and little cups of mast-o-moosier (yogurt with shallots) are staples at Torange. Other appetizers include the popular kashk bademjan (eggplant spread) and dolmeh (stuffed grape leaves). Salad shirazi is a typical Iranian salad: diced cucumbers, tomatoes and onions in a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice and different herbs.

The highlight of every Iranian restaurant is its selection of chelow kabob (a combination of rice and grilled kabob) and Torange has a full slate. Koobideh (ground beef) serves as the cheapest and most popular kabob option, but kabob barg (sliced beef tenderloin) and joojeh kabob (chicken breast) provide a more refined meal at a slightly more expensive cost.  All skewers of kabob are served over a mound of white rice (with saffron), and grilled tomatoes are served on the side. No Iranian meal is complete without a cup of chai (hot tea) afterward.

Torange provides a unique opportunity to experiment with tasty ethnic cuisine only a short distance from campus. While dinner prices are a bit steep ($14.99 for kabob barg, $7.99 for kashk bademjan appetizer) for a college budget, cheap lunch specials are offered during the day. For fantastic service, a warm environment and delicious Iranian fare, head to Miracle Mile and try this Middle Eastern gem.

If You Go:

What: Torange Restaurant

Where: 1831 Ponce De Leon Boulevard, near Miracle Mile

When: Monday – Thursday, 11:30 a.m. – 9:30 p.m., Friday 11:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, 12:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.

Price: Lunch – $10-12, Dinner – $18-20

Camron Ghorbi

Staff EDGE Writer

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...