Our Opinion: Creative security solutions needed

On Saturday at approximately 3:30 a.m. a woman in her twenties was threatened at gunpoint and raped in Coconut Grove. The incident took place near Mary and Virginia streets and was not the first time such an event occurred.

On Halloween another woman in her twenties was raped by an attacker fitting a similar description: black male, medium build, approximately 5 feet 7 inches and 175 pounds.

University of Miami students who go out to the Grove at night should take additional safety precautions and not travel alone. Anything can happen, even in Coral Gables as evidenced by the street sweeper accident involving junior Bianca Milov earlier this semester.

Don’t leave friends behind and travel in groups, especially as the night winds down and the witching hour approaches. Be smart about going out and make sure at least one other person knows where you are at all times.

Rave Mobile Safety offers a service that could help address these safety issues. The Rave Guardian system transforms students’ cellular phones into personal safety devices with a panic call feature and special safety timer mode; students can turn on the alarm while walking home and local police are alerted if the student is unable to turn it off. Both features would allow students who feel unsafe a way to get help immediately and could prove integral if such safety issues escalate.

Regardless of whether a new security protocol is put in place, students and security need to get creative with solutions as incidents continue to occur on and around campus.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.