UMTV news show nominated for Emmy

sports Mackenzie Green lead Victor Okendo

Brittney Bomnin // Photo Editor

NewsVision, a program broadcast by UM Television, was recently nominated for a 2009 Suncoast Regional Emmy.

At the awards show Dec. 5., senior executive producers Chris Nielsen and Rory Lincoln and faculty advisor  Andrew Barton will see how much progress they have made with the show in the past four years.

“I am thrilled for UM, the faculty, all the students involved and, to be honest, I am happy with myself; this really means a lot,” said Nielsen, the lead executive producer of the show.

NewsVision was nominated for their April 16 newscast. This is the show’s first nomination since 2005 when they did not take home the award. UMTV brought home a Suncoast Emmy in 2002 in the Student Program category.

Nielsen, who enjoys the behind-the-scenes work of broadcast journalism, hopes a prestigious nomination such as this could propel him into a job after graduation producing local television news where he could eventually become a news director.

Lincoln is Nielsen’s right-hand man in the production of NewsVision and helped with the rundown, writing, video and production of the April 16 show.

“This is huge, any nomination is awesome,” Lincoln said. “I have definitely missed out on a few things I could have been doing in college, but I wouldn’t change it. This has really been a great asset to me.”

Nielsen and Lincoln have both somehow been involved with UMTV since their freshmen year. This nomination, and the possibility of receiving an award in December, represents the culmination of four years of hard work.

Barton has been there to witness and help both Nielsen and Lincoln in their progress. It was actually Barton who chose the specific newscast entry that was nominated.

“It’s terrific to watch students progress so much in their junior years and come back to polish it up their senior year,” Barton said.

According to Nielsen, consistency is crucial to broadcast an award-winning show.

“We have had a consistent crew and a lot of people toward the end of their degrees. We have also had lots of volunteers. News is a team sport, and you need every element,” he said.

NewsVision airs on channel 96 in Coral Gables or at UMTV.miami.edu. The Web site has a link to the Emmy-nominated show.

Robbie Shiver may be contacted at rshiver@themiamihurricane.com.

Robbie Shiver

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...