‘New Moon’ soundtrack a collection of indie-rock cool

Considering the fact that Twilight author Stephenie Meyer is the epitome of all that is not cool in the world, it’s quite a surprise that the soundtrack to New Moon is so remarkable. It’s almost as if Meyer, who selected much of the music herself, actually researched what is trendy right now and made the music somewhat relevant outside of her own little world of sparkly monsters.

Featuring a surprisingly hip roster of musical acts, New Moon is impressive in that most of its music hasn’t been quoted incessantly by its preteen fans, as some of the music on the first soundtrack had (like Paramore and Linkin Park).

Thom Yorke, Death Cab for Cutie, Grizzly Bear and Bon Iver are all indie-rock superstars, and the final result of the soundtrack is atmospheric, hushed, moody and broody. The first single from the album – Death Cab for Cutie’s “Meet Me on the Equinox” – is classic Death Cab, with extended guitar riffs and supported by bombastic drums. Almost everything that follows falls into one of two categories, folk or guitar-driven rock, but the surprising thing is that the soundtrack works far better than the film does as a narrative of a girl whose true love has left her.

The Killers’ “A White Demon Love Song” is somewhat quieter than many of their more popular songs but perfectly captures the complicated relationships at the core of the film. The best song on the album is Muse’s “I Belong To You,” which was provided with a slinky, sexy remix specifically for the film.

Alexandre Desplat, one of film’s most prolific composers, provides an uncharacteristically low-key note on which to end the film with “New Moon (The Meadow).” Desplat is known for bombast, but “New Moon (The Meadow)” is a rare surprise from him. Lush and heartrending, simultaneously complex and effortless, the final track is the star of the soundtrack and of the film.

Rating: 3.5/4 stars

Release Date: Oct. 16, 2009

Music Supervisor: Alexandra Patsavas

Label: Chop Shop/Atlantic

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...