The University Village and Apartment Area put the “U” in Unity

Both the University Village and the apartment area where University of Miami students reside have organized different programs for their inhabitants this semester which have helped bring about a sense of unity.

“We’ve been trying to use this common space to overcome the unique challenges that face resident assistants,” said Jenna Defrancesco, a graduate assistant who helps plan events in the apartment area and Eaton Residential College. “Particularly not having common hallways or communal indoor areas that allow for residents to basically interact with only their apartment-mates if they choose to do so.”

These group activities began Oct. 4 when the UV went on a kayaking excursion at Shake-A-Leg Miami in Coconut Grove. On their outing, the 18 residents were instructed by two guides on how to steer the kayak and were then escorted out into the water; the residents even got a chance to swim around the island. Junior Alicia Hartstack said she saw a “coral reef and fire sting ray”.

The following week, the apartment area and Eaton teamed up to present “The Moonlight Lounge,” a spin on typical coffee house events that gave residents a chance to showcase their talents.

“We’ve been trying to bring big programs to the apartment area instead of them having to walk over to Eaton just because they don’t have an indoor area to program,” Defrancesco said.

At the Moonlight Lounge, there were several performers including senior Cassandre Davilmar, an apartment area RA who recited original poetry, and sophomore Kailey Billings who sang a rendition of Jewel’s “You Were Meant for Me” along with a few personal compositions.

“It was nice, relaxed and a good way to meet people,” sophomore Allison Brown said.

All trips sponsored by the UV are a part of the housing payment, allowing for creating bonding experiences among residents free of charge.

“You might as well get your money’s worth” said senior Jamil Rich, a UV RA.

Residential colleges help “facilitate learning outside of class,” Davilmar said.

“I think it’s important for residents to really get something back for their housing investment,” Defrancesco says.

According to Coral Gables law, the UV is not allowed to have events of more than five people gathered in one spot. Therefore, the RAs try to find other ways to get residents further involved off-campus by taking advantage of what the city of Miami has to offer. The main goal of putting together different programs for residents is not only cater to people’s interests, but also to involve learning something new.

Olivia Woolbright

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...