Our Opinion: Airport shuttle increase objectionable

Students traveling home for Thanksgiving this year will be surprised to find that the fees for the University of Miami airport shuttles have doubled.

Last year, shuttles to Miami International Airport and Fort Lauderdale International Airport required $5 and $10 fares respectively, but now cost $10 and $20. In previous years, this shuttle service was offered free of charge. The continued increase in price could become a financial burden for students simply looking to share a holiday meal with their families.

For a service that was once free, why are shuttle prices increasing two-fold? Perhaps Student Government and the Division of Student Affairs should look more closely at the ways in which funds are allocated. This is a service many UM students would use, so greater importance should be reflected in its amount of funding.

While it is beneficial to even have this service offered to students, there are ways in which it could be improved. The holiday shuttle service could supply transportation back to campus after the break. While students do return at different times, at least offering an arrival pickup service would be more practical.

Having such a shuttle service is a privilege and not something that should be taken for granted by students. However, it is understandable to find such an increase in price objectionable.

For now, the best and least expensive method of airport transportation is to make friends with students who have cars. So next time you see that cute guy walk into history class with car keys hanging out of his pocket, flash a smile. Who knows, instead of a date maybe you’ll score a free ride to the airport.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...