Honor Council promotes ethics and education, not just discipline

Upon entering the University of Miami, all undergraduate students sign a pledge to uphold the Undergraduate Honor Code.

“Every student has a role in seeing that the institution’s academic efforts are above board,” Dean of Students Ricardo Hall said. “The Honor Council plays a role when it’s alleged that an academic work is not a student’s own work or is not properly cited.”

The Honor Council, an entirely student-run organization, was established in 1986 as the result of a student referendum.

“The student body did vote and decide that they wanted this to be a part of the university,” Assistant Dean of Students Dayle Wilson said. “It gives the students an opportunity to say how the community should be run and have a say in what happens if someone violates the code of ethics within the UM community.”

Meeting twice a week, the Honor Council is made up of 29 undergraduate students from the various schools and colleges of the university. Graduate assistant to the Honor Council, Ren Werbin, thinks the Honor Council being a student organization is an advantage.

“It’s different when an adult tells you something or when you go through something with an adult versus your own peers,” Werbin said. “I sometimes think it’s more important and more of an eye-opener when your peers are being involved because they are going through what you’re going through at the same time.”

Faculty members who feel that one of their students violated the Honor Code can contact Werbin and fill out a violation form. The students are then notified of the complaint.

“More times than not, the teacher approaches the student,” Werbin said. “So it’s not a shock when they get the call.”

Two student members of the Honor Council are assigned to investigate the case. They speak with both the accused and the complainant to get both accounts, and also review the questioned work in cases of plagiarism.

Once reports are filed, Werbin and the two investigators decide whether the case should go to hearing or be dropped.

Although many students view the Honor Council in a negative light, its purpose on campus is to help.

“It’s tough and it’s hard to sanction people because they see it as ruining their lives,” Werbin said. “But we see it as helping them. When you get out into the real world, you could do a lot more harm to yourself than just learning now.”

The Honor Council is not just a disciplinary body. Along with investigating complaints and holding hearings, it also strives to educate the UM community.

The Honor Council hosts an Academic Integrity Week every year in the spring semester, but it also promotes academic integrity on a daily basis. Members of the Honor Council make presentations to classes and proctor exams when a professor requests them.

“The Honor Council is responsible not just for adjudication,” Wilson said. “But also for educating the community about issues of academic integrity.”

Cornelia Green

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...