Another Political Debacle

Florida State Capitol // Flickr.com
Florida State Capitol // Flickr.com

spaceballspaceballAs if the current political turmoil in Washington over the Democratic proposals for health care reform wasn’t enough, start preparing for the next debacle at the Florida Senate in the coming weeks.

According to the News Service of Florida, Senators Mike Haridopolos, R-Melbourne, and Don Gaetz, R-Niceville, will propose that the state withdraw participation from the federal Medicaid program amid fears that national reforms will not bring home sufficient benefits to constituents.

This proposal surfaces days before Federal stimulus money is expected to plug a gaping hole in Florida’s budget.

The recently approved bill that surfaced from the U.S. House of Representatives will enable another 1 million Floridians to qualify for federal Medicaid assistance.

Haridopolos and Gaetz will be asking the federal government for an exemption to create a Florida market to replace Medicaid’s involvement in the state.

Haridopolos, queued to be the next president of the Florida Senate, is advancing a politically savvy idea for his followers. And why not?

He’s trying to avoid what many conservatives fear to be a political nightmare regarding the changes that the Democrats are urging for health care reform. At the same time, he is revving an active conservative base that has vehemently fought the new health care legislation.

Although experts predict that the federal government will pay no attention to the proposal, Haridopolos and Gaetz seem to have nothing to lose. Even when the feds prohibit their requests, they will seem like visionaries and creative political thinkers to their party.

Vice-Chairman Nan Rich, D-Weston, of the Florida Senate’s Health and Human Services budget, has already called the proposition a “non-starter” and sees no major threat to Florida’s participation in national health care reform; and he’s probably right.

Still, one can only wonder to think – what if an idea like this caught enough political fire to blaze into a popular idea?

These new developments in the Senate arise during a precarious situation for the state government. Approximately $4 billion in federal stimulus money is about to make its way into the budget, filling a $700 million gap that has been leaking because of the dire economy.

The stimulus money would go to the construction of new roads and to help maintain many social services that the state already provides, among other uses.

According to The Miami Herald, $1.4 billion of the stimulus is scheduled to hit “shovel-ready” projects, or construction that is almost ready to begin immediately.

Although Governor Charlie Crist will wholeheartedly embrace the federal stimulus money, the Florida legislator is estimated to reject approximately $440 million in “workers’ compensation benefits,” according to The Herald.

So our enlightened Republican state legislators will continue to accept the federal stimulus money that helped bail us out from a seemingly bottomless budgetary hole. But when it comes to dealing with controversial issues that are unpopular among conservatives, however, a health care reform bill supported by President Obama seems increasingly untouchable. Desperate times have indeed called for uncharacteristic, desperate measures; but instead of compromising with the federal government, these two state legislators are more concerned with scoring some easy political points.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...