WVUM Expands Range

Sophomore Robert (Bobby) Goldfin, Training Director at WVUM, hosts one of his weekly shows.  WVUM "The Voice" broadcasts from the UC on 90.5 FM.

Sophomore Robert (Bobby) Goldfin, Training Director at WVUM, hosts one of his weekly shows. WVUM "The Voice" broadcasts from the UC on 90.5 FM.

A triumph for music lovers across Miami-Dade County, the Federal Communications Commission approved a request made by WVUM “The Voice” that will double the station’s range, providing music, news and sports programming to the entire county.

Beginning in January a new directional antenna, funded by a donation from a WVUM alumnus, will increase the listening radius from the current 14 miles to about 28, which means the signal will carry to the north and south ends of the county.

“There’s still a lot left to the process,” said Melanie D’Andrea, the station’s general manager. “We have to work out all the engineering aspects, but the changes should be final in January. This is such an incredible opportunity… we’re going to reach so many new ears, and a lot of the people that tune in online.”

The signal expansion comes at a time when the station is trying to recover from a technological mishap from earlier this semester. “The Voice” hopes to roll out a new Web site next year after an anonymous Turkish hacker wreaked havoc on its online operation.

“We aren’t sure if it was security errors or if it was the intrinsic nature of the server,” said WVUM’s faculty advisor, Paul Driscoll. “The attacks have been stopped and the staff is on top of the problem. The stream is back up, and that’s the most important thing.

A temporary site, which still includes the popular live streaming feature, has been put up while the station builds a new site from the ground up.

According to D’Andrea, there was no apparent reason why the site was targeted.

WVUM 90.5 FM, the official radio station of the University of Miami, was founded in 1968, and is fully student-run and operated. Its main office and broadcast station are on the first floor of the University Center. Aside from covering sports, the station is best known for its focus on Miami’s underground music scene.

Due to its popularity, WVUM has been selected “Best FM station in Miami” by the Miami New Times for three of the last four years.

The team remains optimistic, with all the positive changes on the horizon, 2010 looks like a year of growth for “The Voice.”

“We have a North Star,” D’Andrea said. “And the cohesiveness of the group has shown through all of this that no amount of technical difficulties are going to keep us from delivering to our listeners.”

Veronica Perez

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...