V's Take

DEAR V: I’m looking for a ‘nickle back’ fan…

Help.  I am a 21-year-old female.  I am a senior.  And yes, I hate to admit that I am a virgin.  I am very curious and eager to have sex, but one thing is holding me back.  I have a mole on my buttock (about the size of a nickel).  As a kid, I was teased about it and I guess I just never got over the shame.

I have never discussed this with anyone, but it has become a debilitating issue.  Can you advise?

Spot

Dear Spot,

Crooked genitalia.  Body hair.  A little excess fat hither and thither.  We all have our own hang-ups regardless of gender, age, or level of sexual activity.  And guess what? We were all teased for something back in grade school—even yours truly. While your mark may be distinguishing, you are not alone.

There is a reason that many folks (ideally) hold off on sex until they get to know their partner:  Nudity can be embarrassing.  Stripping down and doing the deed is a pretty intimate act, if you ask me.  If someone you like comes along, don’t be afraid to take the time to feel comfortable around him.

When you do end up at ease with a worthy companion, your mole should matter much less—to both of you.   As I so often preach, sex is sex, and passion is passion.   And (as reluctant as I am to say this), to straight guys, a vagina is a vagina.  Any beau of yours would be happy to enjoy yours.

You will always be your own worst critic.  But if we all allow our minute imperfections (yes, minute) inhibit our sex lives, the human race would be pretty much extinct by now.  Relax and enjoy yourself!

If your mole just won’t stop nagging you, a la “Austin Powers in Goldmember,” feel free to take your issue to a dermatologist.  They see problems like yours regularly, and will likely deem yours “suspicious” and remove it because of its size.  In this case, your insurance would probably cover it; win, win!

Best of luck!

Advice Columnist

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...