Two armed men seen on campus

University of Miami students woke up to an alarming text message this morning. The message, sent through the Emergency Notification Network at 8:41 a.m., alerted students of two individuals in possession of a gun on campus.

Two males in possession of a handgun were seen around the area of apartment building 36 behind the BankUnited Center at 5:00 a.m., according to a crime alert e-mail sent by the University of Miami Police Department at 10:07 a.m.

“Different offices are meeting right now to gather everything that took place,” said Karla Hernandez, associate director of media relations.

The first subject was described as a light-skinned black male, approximately 20 years old, wearing light gray pants and a white sweatshirt with blue stripes. The second subject was described as a dark-skinned black male, approximately 20 years old, wearing a black sweatshirt and dark pants.

The e-mail identified the first subject as the one in possession of the weapon, while the text pointed to the second subject.

According to the e-mail, a student reported waking up to noise outside his dorm room. When he looked out the window, he saw the subjects, in possession of a gun, talking in the area of building 36. They were seen in front of a green Nissan, although it is unclear if the vehicle was being driven or used by the subjects. They then started to walk towards Walsh Avenue.

After the report was filed, the Emergency Notification Network was activated, the campus locked down and a law enforcement search was initiated. At 8:09 a.m., the lock down was lifted and an “all clear” alert was issued.

“Coral Gables Campus has been checked and is secure,” the text read.

Both messages urged anyone with any information that may lead to the capture of these individuals to contact UMPD at (305) 284-6666 or Crimestoppers at (305) 471-TIPS.

Lila Albizu

Assistant News Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...