Numbers down on the Ibis Ride

Cayla Nimmo // The Miami Hurricane

Cayla Nimmo // The Miami Hurricane

Despite a DJ blasting tunes and ample advertising, the Ibis Ride Kickoff saw a sharp decline in student use.

While over 800 students rode the Ibis Ride to Coconut Grove in fall of 2008, a mere 423 students used the service on its opening night, Sept. 24.

The trend has continued throughout October, which shows a consistent 20 to 30 percent drop in student attendance. Facing its possible demise for the past two years as a result of student violations, the Ibis Ride came back this year with a different look.

The Ibis Ride runs for fewer hours, requiring students to leave the Grove by 2 a.m. rather than 3 a.m. In addition, violation of policy will lead directly to an indefinite ban from the bus.

Assistant Dean of Students Nannette Vega, attributes the decline partly to the Ibis Ride starting a whole month later this year, allowing students the time to find alternative routes to the Grove and alternative destinations. She also notes that more people are taking taxis and other forms of transportation home, most likely due to the Ibis Ride’s shorter hours.

“We are still seeing a lot of taxi traffic in front of Hecht,” Vega said.

The school also provides alternative programs for students like Salsa Craze, national alcohol awareness week, and speakers like sexologists.

Sophomore Gaurav Dhiman does not go to the Grove on Thursdays. He prefers other activities on or around campus.

“I think we were all a little too fascinated with the Grove; now it’s like eh,” Dhiman said.

Thursday’s numbers continue to be the highest compared to Friday and Saturday nights. Vega is confident, that the numbers will continue rise.

“We will see students utilizing the service,” she said.

So far there have been two incidents reported on the Ibis Ride. One incident involving an underage student vomiting resulted in disciplinary action that will ban the student from using the service again. The second incident involves an unsolved case of a stolen Cane Card reader.

With only two incidents throughout the entire semester thus far, the Ibis Ride is in good shape according to Vega. However, the ride is still not guaranteed to return next year. Due to low attendance, especially on Saturday, one day may be eliminated.

Elena Schmidt

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...