ENN activated after threat detected

Photo illustration by Brittney Bomnin

Photo illustration by Brittney Bomnin

The University of Miami Police Department sent out an alert via the Emergency Notification Network to notify the community about two armed suspects that were on the Coral Gables campus. The initial alert, sent at approximately 8:41 a.m., asked recipients to “be on the look out” for two black male suspects that were “possibly armed with a gun.”

According to reports, university administrators received the first alert before a second went out to students, who were notified at approximately 9:30 a.m. The alerts, however, were issued almost an hour after the sighting of the armed suspects was first reported to police as a potential threat.

UMPD released an e-mail crime alert at 10:07 a.m. stating that the two subjects were seen in the area of apartment building 36 by the BankUnited Center at approximately 5 a.m.

A UM student heard a noise outside of his apartment window and saw the pair before they left in an easterly direction, according to UMPD. The suspects were described as in their 20s, with one sporting light gray pants and a white hooded sweatshirt with thin blue stripes, and the other wearing a black sweatshirt and dark pants.

The e-mail also described an old four-door green Nissan that the subjects were standing in front of when they were spotted. It is unclear whether the vehicle is associated with the suspects. The Coral Gables campus was under lockdown until an “All-Clear” was issued at 8:09 a.m.

“Different offices are meeting right now to gather everything that took place,” said Karla Hernandez, associate director of media relations.

Questions arise, however, regarding the timing of the ENN alert. Over an hour passed between the time the ENN alert  was issued and the moment the police announced the all-clear. Although the ENN’s purpose is to notify the campus about threats and dangerous situations around campus, it is still unknown as to why no original warning was sent out about the two armed suspects when the threat was acknowledged.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...