Cure for recession depression

Adam Weinstein

Adam Weinstein

While standing in line at a mall food court, I overheard two people complaining about the miserable state of the economy. This isn’t an uncommon conversation, everyone seems to be thinking about the ‘global recession.’ However, what struck me was they both ironically had shopping bags from high-end stores.

If you’re reading this, you probably have paid for your classes at the University of Miami, whether through a scholarship, parental money or loans. The very fact that loans are available to us counters the doomsday economic critiques of news pundits and their sensationalized talk shows. We all should stop being so pessimistic about the economy and focus on the positive.

Around the country people are feeling the effects of the economy, but very few are regressing to the Great Depression recipes of potatoes and casserole every night. To be fair there are some families that have been hit very hard and to them this time truly is a depression. However, for UM students, it is a good opportunity to learn about living within our means.

People from my home state of Ohio, which has had high unemployment rates and a plummeting manufacturing economy for over a decade, joke that the rest of the country is just ‘catching up to us.’ Indeed national unemployment has not even come close to that of cities like Cleveland or Detroit. The point isn’t to be content with our economic state, but rather to accept it for what it is. Recessions mean downsizing your credit card bill and depressions mean not eating. We are in a recession.

The same generation of Japanese and Germans, who were born into war-scarred countries with little infrastructures, have become economic powerhouses of their respective regions. We are in a global economy now and the stakes are higher, but this also creates more potential for recovery.

We should all be thankful that this is happening while we are young and time-rich, rather than asset-rich. But if you ever feel an air of pessimism coming over you, speak to someone who actually did live through the Great Depression. You will quickly regain some perspective.

Adam Weinstein is a junior majoring in international studies. He may be contacted at aweinstein@themiamihurricane.com

Adam Weinstein

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...