Chiddy Bang no longer kids

What do Belle & Sebastian, Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, Marry Poppins, MGMT, The Notorious B.I.G., Passion Pit, Sufjan Stevens and Yelle all have in common? They’re all sampled on Chiddy Bang’s debut mix tape, The Swelly Express. And no, Chiddy Bang isn’t a mashup artist in the same light as Girl Talk. They’re a rap/electronica duo consisting of a rapper (Proto) and a producer (Xaphoon Jones).

The mix tape is described as the true story of two Drexel University students from Philadelphia who quickly garnered the attention of “the industry.” Their music was inspired by multiple trips to New York City to meet with record label executives.

To add to the true story feel, there are four skits that add a nice touch to the mix tape.

Lyrically, the 18-track mix tape is top-notch. The up-and-coming rapper, Proto,  possesses a smooth flow with sharp, witty rhymes.

The mix tape’s production is stellar, too. Xaphoon Jones is able to sample multiple genres over superb synth lines.

Some of the standout tracks include the danceable “Truth,” which samples Passion Pit’s “Better Things,” the infectious MGMT sampled “The Opposite of Adults (Kids)” and “All Things Go,” which samples Sufjan Stevens’ indie folk song “Chicago.”

It’s amazing that these two young adults were freshmen in college just one year ago and were able to produce such a cohesive mix tape debut without major label backing.

And while Chiddy Bang is not a mashup artist, Jones just released The Xaphoon Jones Mixtape Vol. 1. His debut mix tape features mashups and mixes that are more eclectic than The Swelly Express.

Rating:  3.75/4 stars

Release Date:  October 29  (Free download of The Swelly Express available at http://www.myspace.com/chiddybang)

Label:  Unsigned

Production:  Xaphoon Jones

(Free download of The Xaphoon Jones Mixtape Vol.1 available at http://www.prettymuchamazing.com/music/pma-presents-the-xaphoon-jones-mixtape-vol-1)

Ben Wexler

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...