Armed Robbery Update

UMPD Chief David Rivero

UMPD Chief David Rivero

In what proved to be the first necessary usage of the University of Miami’s emergency communication capabilities this academic year, students were left uninformed about an armed robbery that occurred just by the BankUnited Center last week.

The UM Police Department failed to send out an alert message via the Emergency Notification Network (ENN).

The ENN serves as the main line of communication between the university and the campus community regarding unfolding incidents and dangerous occurrences in the area.

“It was just human error,” UMPD Chief David Rivero said in an interview with The Miami Hurricane. “We should have sent out the ENN.”

According to Rivero, the patrol commander in charge of after-hours police operations around campus did not issue an alert via the ENN because of concerns that the university would attract unwanted media attention about the department’s response to the crime.

“Next time, the ENN will be activated and the word will get out and we won’t have any issues. The cops that were on the ground did everything perfect,” Rivero said. “We contained the area, we saturated the area, we conducted a thorough man hunt and we communicated well, we caught the bad guys and we got confessions.

“We just didn’t do the one thing we needed to do – which was to send out that ENN message.”

Frustrated students and parents voiced concerns to the police department over the university’s inability to release timely information about crimes around campus.

“I don’t feel like the response was good at all because I live in the apartment area and I didn’t hear about it,” junior Michaela Gaffley said. “But for friends who live in the residential colleges, and who are in the studio – they found out about it. But I didn’t know whether he had a gun, he had a knife, there was no network, no information given. I didn’t feel like it was safe.”

Still, Rivero has assured concerned students that the campus is the safest in Florida.

“Like President Donna Shalala has said, you can’t prevent all crimes. I wish I could have prevented that robbery from happening, but it’s just a crime of opportunity and sometimes they just happen on our campus or near our campus,” he said. “The main message is that we have a very safe campus.”

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...