Andrew Ross Sorkin speaks at UM

New York Times columnist and book author Andrew Ross Sorkin spoke to a packed auditorium Friday afternoon at the University of Miami’s business school about his best-selling book on the U.S. financial crisis.

Sorkin, who also edits the Times’ influential DealBook blog, provided a behind-the-scenes look at producing his recent book, Too Big to Fail: The Inside Story of How Wall Street and Washington Fought to Save the Financial System – and Themselves.

People “opened the kimono in a way I didn’t expect,” Sorkin said.

Some provided him calendars and memos and notes to help build the content of the book, while others participated to try to spin what had happened in a positive light.

“Half my job is trying to spin back,” he said.

The ultimate goal of the book, Sorkin said, was to get the public into the room where decisions were made during the crisis.

“If you want to capture the nuance, you have to be right there,” he said of his in-depth reporting efforts.

Sorkin, a graduate of Cornell with a degree in communication, has 14 years of background with the Times, and has worked at reporting on the financial world for a number of years.

In September 2008, Sorkin found himself in a position that many Americans likely shared.

Frankly, I was freaked out in my mind,” he said of how he felt the morning after Wall Street giant Lehman Brothers filed for bankruptcy. “I wanted to talk to someone about it.”

A subsequent conversation with his wife led to the realization that the whole fiasco was like a movie- or as his wife pointed out, more like a book.

That led Sorkin to do more than 500 hours of interviews with around 200 Wall Street and Washington leaders and, ultimately, to write Too Big to Fail.

Yet, Sorkin kept in mind his initial reaction to the crisis and structured his book similarly to the movie Crash, intimately following the stories of several top players in financial decisions.

Too Big to Fail, now No. 4 on the Hardcover Business Best-Seller list, was a feat for Sorkin. Interestingly, he said that the low point of this process was not reporting or researching the book; rather, it was writing it.

“I turned into a college kid,” he said.

He did his best writing between 11 p.m. and 6:30 a.m., snacking on Stacy’s chips and salsa washed down with a diet Coke from the convenience store.

Looking back on the 10-month process, Sorkin said that writing this book was a rewarding experience.

Sorkin’s appearance was well received by those in the audience.

“It’s a terrific opportunity,” said Barbara Kahn, dean of the business school and co-sponsor of the event. “It’s a great thing to co-sponsor with the [communication]school.”

Dana Hatic

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...