A Circus of Corruption

Sun setting on corruption // Flickr.com

Sun setting on corruption // Flickr.com

In the newest development in a succession of corruption reports at Miami City Hall, District Five Commissioner Michelle Spence-Jones surrendered to county investigators amid allegations that she forged letters and other documents to have city funds enter her private coffers.

Before taking her final bow as an active commissioner, she promised her audience innocence.

Governor Charlie Crist has suspended her from office today after she turned herself in to country authorities.

“This charge is about removing me from office and not seeking the truth,” Spence-Jones said at a press conference outside of the Richard E. Gerstein Justice Building on Friday morning. “I never forged letters or stole any money.”

Miami-Dade prosecutors are accusing Spence-Jones of forging documents in the name of former County Commissioner Barbara Carey-Shuler to make $50,000 available to her family’s private business, Karym Ventures.

And the circus of corruption doesn’t end there.

Commission Angel Gonzalez is expected to resign from his district seat on Monday after having been convicted of exploiting his public office to have his daughter, Elizabeth Gonzalez, hired by the Delant Construction Company.

At least he will also vow to never run again for public office. Can we please get these clowns out of the city’s commission?

Prosecutors say the daughter earned $47,000 between July 2004 and May 2006 after not having worked second. In 2004, the company president Juan Delgado agreed to hire Elizabeth for $500 a week.

Conveniently, the commissioner had not realized that his daughter had been awarded the job.

With the resignation and suspension of commissioners Angel Gonzalez and Michelle Spence-Jones, respectively, the Miami commission has no quorum to legislate. City Hall is apparently on a governing freeze until new appointees are selected to lead these districts and represent them on the commission.

In an unrelated case, Delant Construction is also under investigation after accusations arose that it had filed bogus invoices for work that was never completed to Miami-Dade County.

The company had been contracted to build a $25 million office building that would be the county housing agency’s headquarters.

The money was taken from a county bank account appropriated for the project by developer Raul Masvidal, who heads the Hometown Station project. He’s being accused of stealing almost $1 million in county funds, $150,000 of which was spent on a watermelon statue for his personal use.

Delant is a major Miami-Dade builder. This corporation built the MetroWest Detention Center and the Water & Sewer headquarters for the county. After having spent $170,000 on local political candidates and political action committees, Delgado is a huge player in Miami politics.

Delgado will be at court on Monday as a co-defendant in the Masvidal trial. Now, the case is taking a new turn, with both of them facing charges of fraud and first-degree grand theft.

Critics of the corruption at the city commission are praising the change brought about with the swearing in of Miami’s 33rd mayor – Tomas Regalado. He seems to be doing a stellar job facilitating what he set out to do in his campaign: clean up the city littered with corruption, fraud and unethical dealings.

It’s only a matter of time before the depth of all this corruption surfaces. It is essential that law enforcement hoses the commission of all the dirt it can find, but the governor and mayor must hurry to appoint someone to the commission to reestablish quorum and regain the ability to legislate in a city undergoing monumental change.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...