Our Opinion: Lack of communication emergency unacceptable

Packed into the lobbies of residential colleges, students were left frustrated and clueless because the suspects of an armed robbery were at large for at least three hours. They were not provided with specific information from authorities as to what the danger actually was until the Coral Gables Police Department made their first arrests. This delay was unacceptable.

Administrative officials prided themselves on how effective the results were from the last Emergency Notification Network (ENN) test this past September. According to its website, the ENN reached 49 percent of test participants in the first 10 minutes of the test, and 99 percent within the first 20 minutes. A total of 79,000 e-mails, text messages and phone calls were sent out to community members on the ENN during this semester’s test.

On Wednesday night, The Miami Hurricane did not receive a single report of text messages, e-mails or phone calls made to the UM student body about the incident. Instead, students were left to depend on hearsay and Facebook. Social networking sites played an integral role, as one of the quickest ways to contact peers and family to find a hint of truth amidst the chaos.

This situation calls into question whether we are prepared to effectively handle emergency situations at our institution. Virginia Tech first informed students about the massacre that happened on their campus in April of 2007 via e-mail at 9:26 a.m., more than two hours after the first gunshot. Unbelievably, our student body was never notified that armed criminals were roaming our campus. We should never be so complacent as to believe that something so tragic could never happen at UM.

Editorial represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial staff.

Should students have been informed immediately after the armed robbery incident on Tuesday night?

• Yes, students need to be informed in emergency situations. (91%, 127 Votes)
  • No, there must be some reason alerts were not issued. (4%, 6 Votes)
  • Unsure. (4%, 6 Votes)

Total Voters: 139

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

Editorial Board

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...