V's Take

DEAR V: Choking my boyfriend just doesn’t do it for me…

There is this guy in one of my classes who I’ve been very much into all semester.  He’s hot, smart, and very funny.  We have great chemistry.  After much anticipation, we finally hooked up last Thursday night when we got back from the Grove.  Things were going great until he pulled me on top of him, grabbed my hands, and squeezed them around his neck.  I think he was trying to get me to choke him!  Now, I’ve always thought of myself as a pretty adventurous chick between the sheets, but I don’t think I could ever choke someone.  Now he calls and texts me all the time to get together again, but I am afraid to be alone with him now.  Do you think I have a shot at any kind of future with this guy, minus the choking?

Sincerely,

Gasping for answers

Dear Gasping,

Well, you can’t blame a guy for looking for a nice, “adventuresome” lady who can take his breath away.

Now that I got my pun out of the way, I’d like to point out that everyone has their secret little kinks. Some people derive pleasure from feet, others from a little sadism and masochism, and others enjoy just plain missionary position.  And this is a short list of paraphilias; if you can dream it up, there is probably someone out there who gets off from it. In this guy’s case, he enjoys autoerotic asphyxiation.

Autoerotic asphyxiation refers to the sexual pleasure that some people get from intentionally cutting off oxygen to the brain. Fun fact: it was first discovered in the 1600’s at public hangings.  Observers noticed that male victims would develop erections, and sometimes even ejaculate.

That being said, there are two conclusions that we can draw:

1. Your dreamboat’s interests are not uncommon.

2. While these practices are not unheard of, they are dangerous.

You might remember what happened this past summer, when actor David Carradine’s body was found hanging in a hotel room. He was just trying to pleasure himself, and he ended up dying.  Because of the heavy risks involved with autoerotic asphyxiation, the American Psychiatric Association formally classifies it as a disorder.

With all of the above in mind, ask yourself, “Is this guy really right for me?” Just because you have a crush, doesn’t mean that you should feel obligated to put the guy’s life in jeopardy.  You don’t feel comfortable choking him, so don’t do it.

Your first intimate encounter with someone often says a lot about your chemistry and any future that may or may not exist with that person. Perhaps the two of you are better off as friends.

Best of luck!

Advice Columnist

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...