Bring back Storm Surge

Back in my days as a freshman, I fondly remember a little restaurant known as the Storm Surge café. Their offering of Hispanic favorites, such as tostadas and café Cubano, were among the best treats in the entire campus, and their prices were more than fair. Their two pool tables and small television were enough to provide more atmosphere than that of the current Oasis Deli.

Now I’m not saying that the Oasis is bad (they are actually very good as well), but listen to this analogy. Once upon a time, there was a little stadium known as the Orange Bowl.  Despite its uncomfortable student section seating and its faults, the University of Miami student body wholeheartedly embraced their beloved stadium, and the Orange Bowl became the birthplace of many great football players and memories.

Then one day, for many different reasons, our beloved stadium was torn down. The University of Miami football team then moved to “Joe Robbie Stadium” (this is the only true name for the stadium; the name Land Shark Stadium is nothing but a marketing lie!) and it was … good. The seats were definitely nicer, but many UM fans couldn’t help but feel the administration sold its soul to the devil.

In the end, we ended up with a nicer stadium, but it was not truly our own. Ladies and gentlemen, this analogy perfectly explains my feelings about the replacement of the Storm Surge café with the Oasis Deli.

Oasis undoubtedly serves an important function as being one of the only kosher restaurants in the area, but does that mean the administration needed to take away the wonderful Hispanic food that once reigned supreme? Now the only place nearby to get Hispanic food is Salsaritas, and that restaurant is about as Hispanic as Nascar.

I want to propose one of the most incredible mergers of all time: “The Oasis Storm.” With its mixture of delicious kosher food and Hispanic flavor, the Oasis Storm could become the greatest restaurant in all of UM, nay the world. Beloved Oasis, all I ask for is the return of tostadas, café Cubano and of courses, pastelitos.

Alexander Rafuls is a senior majoring in English. He may be contacted at arafuls@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Rafuls

Contributing Columnist

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...