Three-year degree programs economical and efficient

In an uncertain economy, tuition costs are an important factor in choosing a university. Undoubtedly for some, the University of Miami’s steep rates are a turn-off. But what if you could have your cake and eat it too, by graduating in just three years?

Institutions around the country are beginning to market three-year degree programs, and Miami should too. For example, students in the accelerated program at Hartwick College pay the same tuition as traditional four year students, but are able to take more classes each semester and graduate a year early. Not only is this a way to easily shear 25 percent of tuition costs, but it enables students to get into their field more quickly.

If such a program were put in place at Miami, students would not need to enroll in frivolous electives and prerequisites. They could take an increased number core classes as a freshman and save money in the meantime. For those looking to work in experience-based fields like communication and business, this extra step ahead could be invaluable.

However, it is also important to recognize the benefits of a well-rounded, four-year education. By taking “frivolous” electives, you allow yourself to time to mentally mature and to take classes that help to complete your schooling. Just because you know what you want to do with your life doesn’t mean you are there yet intellectually.

Nevertheless, the length of one’s college education really comes down to the bottom line: money. While it is possible to take on a heavier course load as a regular undergraduate, and graduate early on your own, it is an expensive endeavor. Creating a specialized three-year degree program would be an attractive economical option for undergraduates, and is a possibility the university should consider.

Should UM start a three-year accelerated degree program?

• Yes, it would be beneficial and more economical for students. (70%, 31 Votes)
  • No, it wouldn't be worth the trouble. (23%, 10 Votes)
  • Unsure. (7%, 3 Votes)

Total Voters: 44

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

Editorial Board

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...