Sports Briefs

Women’s Tennis

Senior Laura Vallverdu claimed the consolation prize at the ITA National Indoor Championships at the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center in New Haven, Conn., at host Yale University. Vallverdu, ranked sixth nationally, defeated No.13 Reka Zsilinszka of Duke University 6-4, 6-4.

and sophomore Gabriela Mejia fell in doubles. This is the first time they paired together during the fall. Vallverdu and Mejia fell to a 9-1 record on the year after a comeback victory by the University of Tennessee’s duo defeated Miami 2-6, 6-3, and 6-4. The Volunteers entered the tournament ranked seventh in the nation.

In singles play, Vallverdu improved to 9-5 after taking two wins from the consolation draw. She defeated Armstrong Atlantic’s Sona Novakova in the quarterfinals and then beat Florida State’s No.24 Noemie Scharle.

Additionally, freshman Danielle Mills and sophomore Anna Bartenstein concluded the Florida State University Seminole Invitational at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center in Tallahassee, Fla., with third-place finishes. Bartenstein routed the University of Denver’s Sophia Bergner by 6-1, 6-0.

Mills won third place in the Silver Bracket of the tournament for singles. She beat Furman University’s Jennifer Betts by 6-0, 6-2.

Women’s Basketball

The Hurricanes destroyed cross-town foes Barry University 75-42 in an exhibition on Saturday at the BankUnited Center. Sophomore Shenise Johnson and senior Diane Barnes both posted double-doubles in the win.

Sophomore Sylvia Bullock, the captain of the team, scored 10 points to go with her 5 of 7 shooting.

Baseball

On Monday, the Third Annual Orange-Green Fall World Series will begin at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. It is a tournament based on best-of-three games between the defending champion Orange team and the Green team; both comprised of current Hurricanes baseball players. Each of the two squads will feature All-ACC performers: juniors Chris Hernandez and Yasmani Grandal for the Orange team, and junior Eric Erickson and senior Scott Lawson for the Green team.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...