‘The Damned United’ witty, entertaining

It’s hard to do a movie about sports without falling into all the trappings of the genre. Focusing on a compelling figure – in the case of The Damned United, a wildly egotistical, spiteful manager – makes the task a little easier.

Thank God, then, for the great Michael Sheen, whose portrayal of British football coach Brian Clough is hilarious, witty, neurotic and brilliant. Sheen, an underappreciated actor who should have been Oscar-nominated for his roles in The Queen and Frost/Nixon, re-teams with the director of those films, Peter Morgan, for a slightly less consequential but no less entertaining look at a man whose wild drive to spite a competing manager led him to one of the most unsuccessful months in British managerial history.

The Damned United is not about football film but rather sees football as a framework for ambition, greed, success, failure, friendship and love. In fact, the film rarely focuses on the teams themselves – Derby County, whose unforeseen success led to Clough being offered the management of Leeds United, the dominant force in football at the time. His 44 days with Leeds is perhaps the most notorious failure in football history.

While switching the narrative between Clough’s time at Derby and his short spell at Leeds can be somewhat confusing, The Damned United succeeds because it is an interesting, compelling character study more so than a “sports movie.”

Rating: 3/4 stars

Starring: Michael Sheen, Timothy Spall

Directed By: Peter Morgan

MPAA Rating: R

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...