‘An Education’ stunning, unsentimental

An Education could have easily fallen into all the trappings of a typical coming-of-age story: “Girl falls for older man, girl drops out of school, girl nearly sabotages college” is about as cliché as it gets. However, An Education, directed by Lone Scherfig, manages to avoid being formulaic, and is instead a beautifully realized, unsentimental look at one girl’s emotional education.

Set in 1960s London just before the mod years started, An Education is the story of Jenny, a brilliant 16 year old with her sights set on Oxford, if only to appease her parents. She meets David, a playboy in his early 30s, and is swept into his decadent world. What comes next never feels contrived or forced, thanks to Nick Hornby’s sparse, engrossing script.

What drives An Education is not the direction or the writing, but rather a tour de force star turn by Carey Mulligan. Mulligan, an actress best known for her minor role in Pride and Prejudice, gives Jenny an immense amount of depth, and, simply put, is a revelation.

Peter Sarsgaard is enigmatic, sleazy and wholly charming as David, the older man who seduces Jenny with entry into his posh life. Dominic Cooper and Rosamund Pike are also excellent as David’s business partner and his girlfriend, and Emma Thompson – always a delight – manages to steal the film with her few brief scenes as Jenny’s headmistress.

An Education is not perfect – having to deal with a potentially cliché topic is never easy – yet, the film is a wild success because of its astonishingly talented leading lady.

RATING: 4 stars

Starring: Carey Mulligan, Peter Sarsgaard

Directed By: Lone Scherfig

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...