Football

Canes storm past Cavaliers 52-17

Sophomore Thearon Collier runs down the sideline during his 60-yard punt return for a touchdown in the second quarter of the game against Virginia.  Billy Gilbert // The Miami Hurricane

Sophomore Thearon Collier runs down the sideline during his 60-yard punt return for a touchdown in the second quarter of the game against Virginia. Billy Gilbert // The Miami Hurricane

Then-No. 16 Miami scored 28 unanswered points following a 24-17 halftime lead to defeat unranked Virginia 52-17 Saturday afternoon at Land Shark Stadium.

Sophomore quarterback Jacory Harris connected with 12 different receivers and threw for 232 yards and two touchdowns while junior running back Graig Cooper rushed for a career-high 152 yards and a touchdown.

Junior running back Damien Berry also scored two touchdowns for the Hurricanes (7-2, 4-2).

Sophomore Thearon Collier returned a punt 60 yards for a touchdown – his second of the season.

The Cavaliers (3-6, 2-3) were held to just 149 total yards of offense in Miami’s homecoming game.

With the victory the Canes moved up four spots in the ranking to No. 12.

UM travels to Chapel Hill to face North Carolina (6-3, 2-3) on Saturday.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...