Football

Canes storm past Cavaliers 52-17

Sophomore Thearon Collier runs down the sideline during his 60-yard punt return for a touchdown in the second quarter of the game against Virginia.  Billy Gilbert // The Miami Hurricane

Sophomore Thearon Collier runs down the sideline during his 60-yard punt return for a touchdown in the second quarter of the game against Virginia. Billy Gilbert // The Miami Hurricane

Then-No. 16 Miami scored 28 unanswered points following a 24-17 halftime lead to defeat unranked Virginia 52-17 Saturday afternoon at Land Shark Stadium.

Sophomore quarterback Jacory Harris connected with 12 different receivers and threw for 232 yards and two touchdowns while junior running back Graig Cooper rushed for a career-high 152 yards and a touchdown.

Junior running back Damien Berry also scored two touchdowns for the Hurricanes (7-2, 4-2).

Sophomore Thearon Collier returned a punt 60 yards for a touchdown – his second of the season.

The Cavaliers (3-6, 2-3) were held to just 149 total yards of offense in Miami’s homecoming game.

With the victory the Canes moved up four spots in the ranking to No. 12.

UM travels to Chapel Hill to face North Carolina (6-3, 2-3) on Saturday.

Anna Timmons

Editor In Chief