‘Baader Meinhof Complex’ a gripping, frenetic thriller

One of the most stunning aspects of The Baader Meinhof Complex is that it never once lags despite running almost two and a half hours. Germany’s submission to the 2008 Academy Awards and a best foreign language film nominee, the film is absolutely thrilling from start to finish.

After all, had the most comprehensive feature about the Red Army Faction been anything but riveting, it would have been a failed exercise. Making the 1970s far-left terrorist group boring would have been a crime against history.

Luckily for history buffs and film fans alike, Baader Meinhof has no need to embellish its plot’s events. The group, which was active between 1970 and 1998, is responsible for 34 deaths and often chose civilian targets, including department stores and public spaces.

Baader Meinhof looks and sounds as if it is from the 1970s. Cinematography, effects, sound, and action sequences are all period-appropriate, and the script – which covers the group’s inception to the demise of its first generation of leaders – manages to pack an immense amount of information into a enthralling thriller.

The female leads own the film. Martina Gedeck is superb as Ulrike Meinhof, a sympathetic journalist who joins the subjects of her columns in committing terrorist acts; likewise, Johanna Wekalek steals every scene she’s in as group leader Gudrun Ensslin. Wekalek’s chemistry with Moritz Bleibtreu as co-leader Andreas Baader is completely electric.

The sole major fault with the film is that once the group’s original leaders are imprisoned, new characters are introduced without any background; it’s possible to watch the entire movie without knowing who many people are.

The Baader Meinhof Complex is a breathtaking, heart-stopping look at a time in which the youth of a country refused to let the history repeat itself. It is interesting to contrast their activism, whether one approves of their tactics or not, with the apathy of today.

The Baader Meinhof Complex plays Friday through Sunday at the Cosford Cinema.

RATING: 4/4 stars

Starring: Martina Gedeck, Johanna Wekalek, Moritz Bleibtreu

Directed By: Uli Edel

MPAA Rating: R

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...