Basketball

Women’s basketball looking to shock ACC foes

The women’s basketball have talented athletes. Now it’s time for the squad to have success on the court.

This may be the year the Miami Hurricanes women’s basketball team has been waiting for. The Canes and fifth year head coach Katie Meier have their sights set on the postseason after bringing in another skilled and talent recruiting class to go along with seven returning players including sophomores Shenise Johnson and Riquna Williams.

“Every year, I come out here and I’m excited, energetic and confident,” Meier said. “I think the difference this year is I really do feel like we have a roster full of ACC talent, a good solid eight, nine rotation of ACC players.”

Last season the orange and green finished 13-17 and finished 2-12 in the ACC. Meier has emphasized the whole off-season how important the ACC is, the best conference in women’s basketball. If the Hurricanes improve in conference play, they will definitely have a shot at post-season play.

“This season is all about how we do in the ACC. That’s it,” Meier said. “We tried to put together a non-conference schedule to get more wins in the ACC. That’s all we talk about in the huddles.”

The Hurricanes’ backcourt may be one of the best in the conference. Johnson was the only member of last year’s team to start all 30 games and Williams was the second leading scorer with 8.7 points per game.

Since last season, Williams has lost weight and looks to be more explosive and more aggressive.

Johnson put up remarkable statistics last season as she led the Hurricanes in points, rebounds, assists and steals, the only player in nation to do so. She did all that as a freshman.

In her sophomore season, ‘Moe Moe’ looks to lead the Canes to the post season for the first time since 2005.

“I thought we could have surprised some of [the ACC teams]last year, we just didn’t get it together. The chemistry is there,” Johnson said. “I’m just beyond excited. I really believe we’re going to shock people and surprise some people.”

During the summer, Johnson was chosen compete with the Team USA U19 World Championship. Johnson is the first player in Miami history to play for Team USA. In the Gold Medal game, Johnson recorded a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds and also led the team with three assists.

“It was a great experience, I was honored to represent my county,” Johnson said. “I learned leadership, teamwork and how to win.”

Added to the team, was McDonald’s All American, Morgan Stroman. Stroman led her team to four consecutive South Carolina State Championships in high school. It was the second consecutive year Meier landed an McDonald’s All American.

Stroman plans to come in and make an immediate bang for the Lady Canes.

“I just planned on coming in and making a big impact on the team,” she said.

Meier and her team are looking forward to the exhibition ghame Saturday night at 7 p.m. agaisnt Barry University. The first regular season game is Nov. 13 against UC Riverside.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...