Five burning basketball questions

1)      Who is going to replace Jack McClinton?

The answer is no one. There will never be another McClinton, the greatest player in UM Baksetball history. He had a will to win and a knack for hitting shots in the clutch. This year will be much more of a team effort than just a one man show. This is a well rounded core and four players have the potential of averaging double figures in points.

2)      Will the real Dwayne Collins please stand up?

The story of Collins’ career has been consistently inconsistent. There was the game against Duke two years ago when he erupted for 26 points and 14 rebounds in the stunning upset. Then there were games in the ACC and NCAA Tournaments when he faded down the stretch. He withdrew from the NBA Draft last summer after realizing he has more to his game to work on.

3)      Will DeQuan Jones develop a jump shot?

Everyone is still marveling over Jones’ baseline reverse jam in the Dean Dome last year. It has over 1,600 youtube views. He can drive to the basket but can he connect from long range? Jones struggled mightily with his perimeter game last year as his field goal percentage was 33%. Jones must create space and open up the floor to maximize his explosive talents.

4)       Is freshman guard Durand Scott going to live up to the hype?

We have seen a lot of players struggle in their first year with the Canes. Scott is the highest rated player ever recruited at Miami by head coach Frank Haith. He had offers from UCONN and Pittsburgh but chose to come to the U to build a program instead of be another member of a dynasty. Scott must not let the pressure and expectations affect him mentally.

5)      Do the Hurricanes have a true facilitator?

Yes. Redshirt Sophomore Malcolm Grant is the most vocal leader the Canes have seen. He can orchestrate the offense and get teammates in rhythm shots. Last year everyone would be in awe of McClinton’s ability to dominate and take over a game. This year MG3 will look to create open shots and run the floor.