Wake Forest win shows potential

They were down 17-0 in the second quarter, and 27-14 to start the fourth. They were outgained by 199 yards and had 14 fewer first downs. They were held to under 100 total yards of offense in the second half. But as the Canes walked off Wake Forest’s BB&T Field, none of that mattered – they had just finished their most inspiring victory in the Randy Shannon era.

The Canes won ugly, and that is a huge step in the maturation of this young team. A great team is able to win when they’re not at their best, or even close to it. Until now, the Canes were considered a talented team, but not a great one. This win doesn’t turn them into a “great team,” but demonstrates the potential to be one.

College’s top two teams, Florida and Texas, have won ugly nearly every week. Iowa is 9-0, fourth in the BCS standings, with four victories by three points or less. The Canes weren’t at their best versus Clemson, and lost a game that jeopardized their shot at the ACC Championship.

This week, they were worse, but pulled out a win and saved their season. It doesn’t matter if you win ugly, as long as you win. With two losses, the Canes’ chance of a BCS Bowl are slim, but their win at Wake showed the heart, determination and integrity that can lead to great things in the future.

Michael Perchick is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism. He may be contacted at mperchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Michael Perchick

Contributing Columnist

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...